Chapter Twenty-Eight - Her Majesty's Growing Dilemma

Start from the beginning

Initially she had thought that the only reason she would lose Azalea was if she was summoned back to her own world. Despite all the impossibilities, Renée had truly believed Azalea's story of the other world. She didn't think it was possible to conjure up something like that. On a few occasions, she even imagined herself what it would be like to live in a modern land without magic and separated realms. Other times, she would dare to dream about living in such a land with Azalea.

It was for the above reasons that she made the decision to act in the way that she did. With a heavy heart, she eventually set aside the journal with the necklace, deciding against saying anything to the girl.

"Ready to spar?" Today the two of them had planned to engage in a free-for-all sparring session. The only rule was that only magical offenses and defenses could be used, nothing physical. Renée thought that it would be the best way for Azalea to apply all that she had learned.

"Don't hurt me too badly." Azalea joked, rubbing her palms together.

Renée chuckled and started off by sending a blue flame at the girl. Azalea dodged it easily instead of blocking it and Renée couldn't help but remember that Princess Eviana had been a natural with her powers. Perhaps she would regain some of those abilities...if her memories returned. At this thought, Renée felt the guilt hit her. She hated lying to Azalea, but she was terrified of the repercussions of Azalea knowing the truth and she wasn't willing to lose the girl now.

In Renée's apparent distraction, Azalea had responded with a electrifying purple jet of light. Renée managed to deflect it at the last minute and smiled in pride at the girl. She decided to up things a notch and conjured two fistfuls of fire, raising her eyebrows and giving Azalea a small smirk. In a split second, Azalea's eyes seemed to flash and the girl's arms lifted as if she was raising something. A flame-freezing column was conjured, causing both the balls of fire and Renée hands to be engulfed in ice. Azalea gasped in concern and hurried over to the Queen. Renée blinked in confusion for a few seconds before quickly regaining herself.

How had the girl learned flame-freezing? This was advanced magic and not everyone could perform it. Even Renée herself had to train for years. She tried not to show her panic but her hands started to shake. She tried to focus her energy to melt the ice and was stunned to see that she couldn't. Azalea quickly hurried over in concern and reached for Renée's hands. She took them in her own before carefully melting the ice. This only added to Renée's panic. How had the girl managed to do that so effortlessly? For a moment, the Queen began to second guess her prior convictions about the girl.

"Are you alright?" Azalea gazed into the Queen's eyes and spoke with audible concern in her voice. "You seem to have other things on your mind."

Renée scrambled to think of a response. "I've been quite busy with a few state affairs." She lied. "I see you've been practicing your techniques. Where did you learn that one? I don't believe we've gone over flame-freezing." Renée said, trying to keep her voice calm. Perhaps the girl had simply read a book and taught herself.

Azalea hesitated before shrugging. "I'm not entirely sure. Recently I've just being doing some things instinctively. Like I had the feeling that I should do this, but it's not something I've read or seen...it's like I said, instinct." She worded, her tone giving away her own unease. "Is that...bad?"

Renée tried to conceal her fear. The last thing that she wanted to do was alarm the girl. Despite this, she still believed that Azalea truly had no recollection of her past. "That is quite impressive." She finally said, managing to keep her voice steady. "Perhaps you are simply a natural." She offered Azalea a small smile, noticing that the girl did not release her hands.

"It's strange..." Azalea mused. "It's like my body just knows what to do at times, but I can't explain it at all. "I have been practicing the stuff we worked on though." She smiled and gently squeezed Renée's hands. "It gives me something to do when you are busy." She admitted, blushing slightly.

"I do not doubt your hard work." Renée finally produced a hesitant smile. "You have accomplished much in a short time. I'm very proud of you, my dear."

Azalea felt her heart warm and she looked at the Queen with big eyes. "Y-you mean that?" She whispered in a tone of uncertainty and Renée nodded again, smiling in reassurance before reaching to wrap her arms around the girl. Despite every revelation, Renée still felt the overwhelming urge to protect her love at all costs.

———————————————————————————
*edited*

Hi everyone,

Looks like Azalea is starting to remember her "past". How does Eviana's life fit in with her life in the other world?

Lots of love,
Cindy