Chapter 10 Coastal Highway

The rising elevator was running on low power, ascending to the surface at a snail's pace. Vergil sang and hummed, giving the members of Alpha-Nine some elevator music on their way up.

Edward Buck picked off grime and dirt off his helmet, sending a wary glance towards the 'Captain'. 

Buck: So. You never did answer when I asked about your. . . You know.

The ONI Operative was more than aware of the state her face was in, the ever present stinging coming from her jaw anytime she moved had no qualms reminding her.

Veronica: Nothing.

Buck: Hey, just worried here. It doesn't look like you just tripped.

The blonde woman glanced across the lift to the other ODST present, sighing as guilt hit her once again.

Veronica: I'm fine, Buck. You don't need to worry about me. Now shut it, before I make you look worse than me.

Buck: What for?!

Veronica: (Smirks) Abandoning the mission.

Buck: Abandoning the- What mission?! You went off the grid, and my team was-

Veronica didn't hesitate as she pulled Gunny down to her level and slammed her lips against his, Vergil abruptly cutting off his tune as they got lost in passion for a brief moment. . .

Buck: . . .

Veronica: And that, was for coming back.

Ahem.

Elizabeth Rose cleared her throat and motioned to the now open door, a small hallway presenting itself to the group.

Veronica: Uh. Thank you. . .?

Elizabeth: (Sighs) Let's just go.

One by one, they filed out the elevator, Noble Two and Vergil sharing an awkward glance as they made their way through the dark hall. The Huragok seemingly shrugged and Kat shook her head.

Kat: People these days.

The sunlight glared down upon New Mombasa as Alpha-Nine emerged onto the streets, reflecting off the large energy shields blocking off most of the roads. Elizabeth looked to the sky and was met by enormous clouds of smoke rising up to try and blotch out the sun. . .

Buck: Captain, how about you hang back? Let us clear a path.

Veronica: Agreed. I'll stay with the asset, give it close cover.

Kat: Stay close to the buildings. It's probably even more dangerous now than at night. Last thing we need is to be caught out in the open.

Elizabeth: . . .

Upon rounding the corner, a Phantom hovered into the air and took off, leaving behind a Covenant Watchtower and sizable ground force within a plaza.

Buck: Well, that's a great start.

Plasma began to fly out of from the watchtower, three Plasma Turrets raining down heat as the infantry spread out to get in position! The ODSTs pushed Vergil behind a barricade and took cover, letting the bolts of energy fly overhead!

Veronica: We can't advance with those turrets pinning us down!

Buck: Lizzie, flank-