Chapter 4 Kizingo Boulevard

The eerily familiar hum of a Phantom echoed throughout the desolate streets of the once beautiful city. . .

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: That's the third one. . .

The aircraft flew over the plaza, it's spotlights glided across the surface, scanning the downed drone for just a moment before moving on. The stranded ODSTs slowly creeped out of the shadows once the coast was clear. . .

Amethyst: They're looking for something. They have to be. . .

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: The patrols, the Phantoms, the spotlights. Come on, what else can all that mean?

Rookie: (Shrugs) . . .

Amethyst: Ha! They are aliens indeed. Who knows what they're up to. . .

Beep

Their HUDs updated once again, three locations marked on their compasses. The troopers tapped into their maps of New Mombasa, and were met by three waypoints. . .

Amethyst: Welp, time for a hike. Want to head to the closest one first?

Rookie: . . . (Nods)

Amethyst: Then let's get movin'.

The soldiers felt every drop of rain that struck their armor, that splashed against their helmets. Their footsteps upset the puddles on the ground, the water rippling as they walked the streets. . .

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Yeah, it is pretty gloomy. Lonely too. . . (Grins) But, at least you got stuck with little ol' me.

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Hey! Be glad it's me and not that ONI chick!

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: (Grumbles) Yes, Palmer is hot, but she's not THAT hot. . .

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Okay fine, she has a nice ass! But she is also AN ass half the time.

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: You know, if I had some rubber bullets, or some shock rounds, I'd be pumping you full of 'em.

Her fellow ODST suddenly grabbed her shoulder and pulled her against the wall of a fractured building. . .

The Corporal peered around the corner to see a collection of Covenant fortified in the center of a roundabout. . . Grunts were manning Plasma Cannons, Jackals formed a defensive line, and Brutes armed with Carbines stood in the center of the formation.

Amethyst: We are not making it passed that.

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: Even that's risky. If there's that many guys there, then anything could be in these buildings. . .

Rookie: . . .

Amethyst: True. . . Screw it. We'll have to risk cutting through the buildings. . .

Rookie: . . .