38.

Sunlight crept in through the open blinds and I cursed silently to myself. He always opened the blinds when he got up. God forbid anyone else in the apartment got the rest they so desperately needed-

   Me, by the way.

   Yet, I couldn't help but smile as the smell of a fresh pot of coffee drifted into the bedroom. I struggled to get myself up, grabbing at the big T-shirt that was left carelessly on the floor from the night before.

   I pulled it over my head, stuffing my arms through as I headed into the kitchen. I was greeted by the sound of soft rock coming from the old record player.  "You're up early." I heard him say before I even saw him.

   "Yeah, well someone opened the blinds again."

   His arms snaked around my waist from behind, pulling me close against his body. "I promise I won't do it again." He said, his hands roaming around my stomach.

   I knew what he was about to do. Before he got the chance to tickle me, I pushed him off me playfully. "You're a liar, first of all. You've told me that a million times." I grinned, shaking a finger at him, "Second- keep those hands away from me."

   Jake held up his hands in feign shock. "I wasn't even gonna do anything." Even as he said it, a wide smile tugged at his lips. "Come here, Char. One kiss and I'll bring you a cup of coffee by the window."

   He held out a hand to me, waiting for an answer. I looked longingly over towards the window seat, wanting nothing more than to enjoy my morning coffee there- which somehow tasted so much better when I'm not the one who had to make it.

   "Fine, but behave."

   Jake chuckled as he pulled me back in, putting a quick end to his laughter as our lips met. He never cared about my morning breath or the fact that I didn't wash my hair the night before.

   Or the night before that.

   He kissed me long and hard as though he hadn't seen me in days. One of his hands wound up in my tangled hair and the other reached down to the small of my back. I would never tire of kissing him.

   When he finally pulled away, I felt almost dizzy. "Go sit. I'll get your coffee ready okay?" He kissed me once more and sent me on my way.

   My sockless feet pattered along the hard wood floor of the apartment as I made my way to the big window in the living room. I pulled myself up onto the big cushion, careful not to disrupt Biki as she slept, sprawled out in the sun.

   Biki was our sweet little tabby cat. I say little, but she was definitely old and kind of fat. Jake had been surprised the day we picked her out. He'd thought that I would want a kitten. I liked the older cats though and when I saw Biki I knew she needed a real home.

   With us.

   "You want to name her Bikini Kill?" I remember Jake asking incredulously. I realize now I might not be the best at names, but I loved that band and I loved that cat. So we went with Biki since Jake said you can't just name a cat Bikini Kill.

   That was understandable, kinda.

   I reached to scratch Biki softly between the ears and I smiled as she stretched out her arms, her little paws making biscuits in the air. "Here you go, my angel." Jake said as he approached, holding out the mug to me.

   I raised an eyebrow as I took it from him, giving him a quick peck on the cheek as my thanks. "You like to be called that, don't even try to pretend."

   He was right. I did like it. I loved it even.

I loved him. He had made a sap, that's for sure. I wasn't nearly as bitchy as I used to be, but I don't know if that kind of personality trait can ever leave for good. But he made me softer somehow.

His angel or whatever.

   I took a sip from my coffee as I watched him continue back to the kitchen, tapping his fingers along the countertops to the music that was still playing from the record. He was in nothing but a pair of striped boxers and an old sweater, his hair pulled back into a messy attempt of a bun.

   We'd been together for two years now, living with one another for a little over a year. We'd just renewed another lease together at this apartment, not even attempting to find another. We were comfortable in our little makeshift home.

   I was still in college, but had managed to take a few of my classes online so I wouldn't have to take the bus to campus as often. Jake was still all over the place with the band, which was all the more reason for us to stay at this specific apartment.

   Everything smelled like him when he wasn't here. If he was gone for a couple weeks for a gig and just so happened to leave his T-shirt slung over the door of the bathroom- I never moved it. I left everything of his the way it was every time that way it never felt like he was actually gone.

   He would always come home though and every time he did I would lock us away in the bedroom for the rest of the night, only sneaking out for an occasional cigarette on the fire escape outside our window.

   His brothers were over here a majority of the time and Posy too, of course. Sometimes when the boys were out of town and she wasn't able to go with them, she'd come and spend as many nights as she could at a time.

   It wasn't always just us though. Dawn loved the sleepovers almost as much as Posy did. Dawn lived with her girlfriend now, which I have to admit, didn't surprise me much at all. Turns out that one actress from the Mummy movies affected more than just me.

   I worked at a record store now, where Jake came to visit me quite often. He always bought something every time. He said he did it to support me at work, but I knew he really just couldn't help himself.

A lot of things in my life were different than before, but some things still stayed the same. I still didn't talk to my mom as much, but I didn't let it bother me as much as it used to. I did talk to my brother more often, he and Jake had even become friends.

That still caught me off guard sometimes, especially when I'd catch Jake texting him. But it was also sweet, his little bromance with my bro or something. I can't say I've never sent a quick text to Josh about something dumb Jake did or gave Sam a phone call about this weird duck I saw at the park.

"Come here Biki, make room for me."

I looked up at Jake, as he attempted to move the fat tabby onto his lap so he could sit on the other side of the window seat. Once he was finally adjusted, he grinned up over at me.

We both sat cross legged on the cushion, facing each other from our respectable sides. "Gimme a kiss?" I asked, leaning forward so he could meet me halfway. His grin never left his face as he moved his body carefully, so not to disturb Biki.

Our faces were nearly touching, but neither of us made a move yet. I let my eyes roam over his face, the way I always did when he was that close. I looked at his big brown eyes and dark lashes. I followed the slope of his nose down to curve of his lips.

"Your roots are growing in."

I pushed him slightly away from me, smacking my lips together. "You asshole, I'm aware." He reached for my arms, unable to contain his laughter as he pulled me back close to him.

I tried to bite back my smile as he leaned in close to me, tracing kisses along my forehead and down the side of my face. I wanted to say something else, show him that he wasn't going to get off that easy. But his mouth quickly found mine and the words were lost.

I was tongue tied.