Chapter 2.

1899? The hell-

"Nice joke." Jack chuckled, not believing the words that came out of the stranger. Why do they look so familiar?

"It ain't no joke, you must've hit your head pretty hard." And that's when he noticed the wounds that he had were actually painful. He also saw that he had his gun again, which was weird because he swore that he saw the lawmen confiscating it. "No, ain't possible. Stop lying." He started getting annoyed by now, what a sick prank this is. "It's not a joke."

"Prove it to me." Jack said. One of them pulled a paper off their satchell. Newspaper. Jack began reading it. There's no way this is fake, the paper is in perfect state. "That's imposible, no... This can't be real... Goddamnit!" As he started getting pissed off again, a metallic sound crashed onto the floor, like a coin. Jack picked it up and grinned like an idiot when he saw the date. "You bastards really tried to fool me! Fucking maggots." Now Jack wasn't the one being pissed. The man with a light blue shirt grabbed him by the neck and threatened him. "Are you acting or are you actually a fool? Cause' I don't have patience for your likes."

"Y'know... Stop pulling the prank already, it's getting boring. I already got this coin made in 1913, there's no point denying it-" before he could finish, the man snatched the coin out of his hand.

"What does it say?" The other guy asked. "Charles... He's telling the truth."

"You mean it's actually from 1913?" The man nodded, still in disbelief. "Can I get my coin now, I kind of- can't move." Jack got him out of his thoughts. "Okay, we're taking you to Rhodes. Charles, you go to Clemens point, I'll get this kid a room and then we'll meet up with the others. And don't tell them about this yet!"

"I ain't no kid anymore."

"You sure is."

𓃗

After Arthur helped Jack sit on the horse, they made their way towards Rhodes. They were quiet the whole ride until one of them decided to speak. "So uh, you never told me your name." Jack asked. "Arthur m- Callaghan." Jack was no fool, he was sure that wasn't his real name, but well... He can't complain, he's done the same. "Well, nice to meet you Mr. Callaghan... You know, I once had an Uncle called Arthur-"

And that's when it clicked. He's seen the man before. He truly was on 1899... But how?

Arthur seemed to notice the mood change, and started thinking. 'Boy named Jack, looks like John, about to get hanged...'

"What's your last name, Jack?"

"Marston."

Now this was confusing. Arthur stopped the horse.

"Jack Marston as in the son of John Marston?" Arthur still wanted to make sure. "Sure, the very same. I believe you would be my Uncle Arthur, but it feels kind of weird saying that when I'm all grown up." "Holy hell... Wait a damn second. You were getting hanged? What the hell!" Arthur yelled. "Long story. I basically killed a man, goddamn pinkerton called Edgar Ross. He killed my pa', so I killed him. Turns out that his wife and brother saw my face and told them lawmen, so I killed the ones who went after me. The officer that was doin' the speech said something like I killed like... 32? 34? I don't know but I'm pretty sure it was way more than that."

"Christ. I don't think I've ever wanted to punch you before. And what do you mean by 'He killed my Pa'...'? How'd that happen?"

"I don't like talking about it. Maybe another time." Arthur noticed the change of expresion when Jack said that. 'Damn it, something bad must've happened.'

After that, they arrived at Rhodes. "Listen, Jackie. Stay in this room, here's some canned fruit. I'll tell the doc to come and see you, don't worry about payment, ya leave that to me boah. Don't cause no trouble now, I'll be back later, because I'm sure you'd like to see some of your uncles again." Jack just nodded.

Couple hours later...

"Arthur! This place is amazing! What have you been up to?" Dutch's charming voice rang through his ears. "Just doin' something that might be of your interest. Can I show you? Hosea can tag along too if he'd like."

Dutch thought for a moment. "Sure Arthur, but I think Hosea's busy teaching little Jack how to read." Arthur replied with a quick 'alright' then went over to the horses.

They both mounted their respective horses and made their way towards Rhodes. "So what's this thing you wanted to show me?" Dutch asked. "Well, it's more a someone rather than a thing." Arthur explained. "Who may it be then?" He asked again. "I'll take you there first, I don't think you'll believe me, but it's someone we both know and care for." Arthur replied. Dutch nodded with curiosity. 'Who might it be...' he thought.

After a few minutes, they arrived at the hotel. The owner told them the doctor left a couple minutes ago. "Can I come in?" Arthur asked, motioning Dutch to follow him. "Sure."

They opened the door, just to find Jack lost in a book. His injuries now covered in bandages, he looked peaceful. Dutch stared for a second, trying to recognize the man. "John?"

𓃗

"Alright son, that should do it. Be careful with moving around too much, you gotta rest." The doc said as he left. Jack was happy that he was finally alone, he didn't like having company of men that made profit off other's suffering. 'Silly...' he thought, as he does that too by robbing people. He just didn't seem to like people that worked with lawmen or government. 'What am I thinking, the doc is just trynna help.' he concluded his thoughts, just to begin another big thought. 'If I'm truly am on 1899, then I guess I can... Save my family?' He cheered up at that, and if he remembers correctly, he still had the journal that Arthur had, which shows everyone the fate of the gang. 'If the gang doesn't fall, and that Tahiti plan works, then Pa and Ma won't die! Even Uncle, that old fool.'... He then started wondering about his family, he hardly remembers these times, most of it was other gang members caring for him as all his parents did was argue. He didn't like those times, not one bit. There wasn't anything to drink in the room, so he decided to grab an old book on the nightstand besides him. 'Science book, about birds.' He remembers once reading a book about birds, but it was very long ago, so he started looking at the pages, and the carefully drawn pictures of each bird.

He didn't notice how much time has passed, but his reading was interrupted by a knock on the door. "Can I come in?" Arthur. He was so lost on the memories he forgot Arthur was coming back. "Sure." He replied. The sound of the rusty door opening ringed through his ears, and he didn't even bother to look up at Arthur. Only, he didn't know he had company. "John?". Goddamnit, more people? "Hell, how many times are people gonna call me John, it's Jack-!" Wait a damn minute. The voice. Holy shit...

"D-dutch?"