05.

WE ALL HAVE A HUNGER,
TELL ME WHAT YOU NEED.

Track 3. Hunger - Florence + the Machine

━━━━━━━━━

The next few days go on silently.

It's not that Jeongguk is avoiding her per se, it's just that the demon seems more quiet than usual; seemingly brooding and more closed off than the first time she met him. They still have minimal conversations when needed, but mostly he keeps his thoughts to himself. Lisa doesn't dare ask.

It's three days later when he finally comes to.

The both of them were at the fourth day of their shift--it's a Thursday, a busy one at that, considering there were children coming in during the early afternoon to get their sweet after-class treat. Lalisa serves them with a small smile on her face; she loves children after all, and occasionally helps Jeongguk with his ice cream swirls and banana sundaes.

When all the customers have been served, the angel takes her time to go to the back to replenish her thirst. On the way, she meets Eunha, the manager, and the girl only gives her an odd look. She gives her an innocent smile and goes to her locker to grab a bottle of water.

"Hey."

Lalisa flinches, nearly dropping her drink at the sudden voice. She turns her head to see Jeongguk behind her, leaning against his own locker. The top two buttons of his shirt are undone, revealing a tanned chest. His apron is hanging on his left shoulder, ever the careless.

"Don't sneak up on me like that," she scoffs instead and closes the locker door.

As usual, Jeongguk only snorts. "I wasn't sneaking up on you," he clarifies. "In fact, I have some good news. One that you'd want to know. Would you like to hear it, angel?"

Even though she does not want to entertain him, she still can't help but be curious. Sighing, she leans against her own locker, the both of them facing each other. She does, however, keep a close eye on the entrance in case customers come in. "Get on with it, then. We don't have time."

"Okay, okay, geez. Calm down." Jeongguk rolls his eyes and rolls his shoulders. "I'll help you get hellfire," her eyes widen and a smile makes its way to her face, "but you should promise to help me get my wings back, okay? A deal's a deal, angel. No takebacks."

Like an obedient puppy, she nods eagerly. She thinks she sees the corner of Jeongguk's lips go up. "I promise."

He nods as well, jutting his chin out towards the entrance when the bell rings, signaling the arrival of new customers. "We'll talk more when we get home, yeah? Now hurry along. There's people waiting."

The angel puts a strand of her hair behind her ear and heads to the front, but stops halfway. When she turns around, Jeongguk's still there, staring at her with a barely-there smile plastered on his face. Lisa bites her lower lip and clears her throat.

"Jeongguk, I--" Her voice comes out soft. She gulps. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

The demon only nods and waves her off.

She walks back to her place behind the counter, and if Eunha sees her skip a little bit, she doesn't mention it.

* * *

The hellfire topic doesn't get brought up again until dinner. Surprisingly, Lisa doesn't get impatient enough to start bothering Jeongguk about it during the duration of their shift, which the latter praises her for. They continue to work diligently, even bickering several times here and there, and Lisa is glad that Jeongguk finally seems like he's back to his normal demonic self.