sixteen

I DIDN'T PUSH THROUGH THE CROWD, trying to get to our two heroes before everybody else, like Hangman and Phoenix were. I decided to hang back, and watch everyone enjoy the moment.

I can barely see Maverick and Rooster coming through the crowd, I'm on the shorter side so I barely see glimpses of them.

The crowd is cheering loudly, and I can't help but laugh and join in.

I stand on my tippy toes, and watch as Maverick hugs Hondo, and Rooster and Hangman shake each other's hands. Rooster and Maverick turn to each other, and they hug.

My eyes meet Maverick's, and I mockingly give him a salute with two fingers. His eyes twinkle, before he chuckles.

I want to ask him why he paired me with Bob. He never gave me a straight answer, and I want one.

Maverick can read me like an open book, which makes sense, he's been in the navy for decades, he's seen the same faces on different pilots.

"Lieutenant Clark," he says in appraisal.

"Captain Mitchell," I answer back, as he claps me on the back.

"Everything okay Red Bull?" He asks, noticing that my face looks more confused than happy.

"No yeah, I'm just glad the mission went well." I lied, but then he gives me a stern look, but in a playful way. Not the way that my father used to do it.

"Red Bull—"

"Fine. I was confused why you chose me and Bob to go over Harvard and Yale. They got better scores overall." I pointed out.

"That's true. They did. Overall. You and Bob had much better runs than they did. You learned a lot, and you proved it with every training session we did. That's why I chose you to be on my foxtrot team, and not Roosters. Red Bull, you're a good leader, you were able to keep calm and step up during the mission when you needed to. You're a great pilot."

"Thanks Mav," I turn away, but he stops me.

I look at him in confusion, until he says, "Red, what was your other question?"

"How did you know I had two questions?"

"If I didn't know my own team by now, I think it's safe to say we would've never made it out of Coffin's Corner."

"True. I know you already answered this, but why did you pair me and Bob? And this time, don't be vague."

"Do I really have to do this in front of everyone?" Maverick sighs, as if he's about to share secrets.

"Yes." I say firmly.

He reveals, "You two like each other."

I turn red, which matches my callsign perfectly. "Maverick—"

"You know it's true. Red Bull, you trust yourself to fly a multi million dollar fighter plane, but not enough to trust your own heart? Bob and you like each other. It was obvious on the first day when you kept looking at each other. That's why I paired you up. And piece of advice don't waste any opportunity, you don't know when you'll get it back." Maverick says a bit cockily, and pats me on the shoulder.

I start, "But what if—"

"Don't think. Just do." Maverick left me with his thoughtful words.

Easy for him to say. But little did I know, that me and Bob reminded him of his younger self and Penny.
I look all throughout the crowd, when I spot Phoenix talking to Bob again. I start walking over to them, when somebody obnoxiously steps in my path.