Chapter 24

It was Sunday. I was supposed to be visiting my mother right now, in the cemetery with a brand new bouquet of flowers to brighten up her grave. Believe me, that is where I would much rather be than here; sitting in my bed in my room all by myself. I was going to have my daughter in (counting today) just four days, and my family had never been so serious about anything more than making sure that I stayed in bed and stayed safe.

  I was looking out the window, watching the leafless trees dance with the light wind outside; when there was a knock on the door. "Come in," I said, I was glad to actually have someone to see. When Ian walked in, I smiled and was about to cry from happiness when he kissed me. I scooted over so he could lay beside me, "good morning Ian!"

  He laughed then draped an arm across my shoulders, "good morning babe."

  "Did you sleep well?"

  "Better then I have been, I have been so worried about you lately," he said, noticing my tortured expression. "I'm not leaving you, Abby. Even though you'll tell me that it's not right to torture myself over you, blah blah blah. But you're my girlfriend, I love you, no matter what is going on. Therefore, I worry about you just like you would me," he said, kissing my forehead.

  "But--"

  "No buts, okay?" He smiled at me, his eyes showing nothing but love and affection...and it was all for me.

  I nodded, "so what are you doing up so early?"

  "Well, I had to take my Grandma to early church services today. I normally take her about an hour from now, but they had a special breakfast thing, and because I didn't know; I figured that I would just go home and get ready for the service. But then I thought about you, and I wanted to come see you."

  "Well, why don't we just get the best of both worlds? How about I come to church with you and your Grandma?" I suggested nervously, I knew it was like walking on glass because I am supposed to be on bed rest. "I haven't been to a church since the week my mom passed away, and I think that it is about time that I go back; and I can put some happy memories in my mind. Please?"

  Ian just looked at me, you could tell he was debating what t do with himself because his eyes would dart from me, to my belly, and back and forth. Eventually, he asked, "what would your aunt say?"

  "Aunt Lacey!" I called to her, my hope escalating just a little. She came in quick, took in the scene, then relaxed incredibly. She was smiling when I asked, "may I go to church with Ian?"

  She puckered her lips, "Abby, you're supposed to be on bed rest."

  "I know, I know. But, what if Ian never left my side? What if he was constantly there for me and protected me?"

  "I already do," Ian muttered in my ear, causing me to blush like a flame.

  "Sure, I guess. But only as long as Ian is beside you," she said, unsure of her decision.

  "Thank you!" I yelled, happier then I have been in a very long time. "Help me get dressed!" I exclaimed as Aunt Lacey and Ian helped me up; then waddling over to my closet. I examined every piece of clothing that I own, that still fit, and was pleased with what I saw.

  "You have to hurry Abby," Ian laughed. "I'll be downstairs with Karson while you get fixed up."

  I nodded, holding up a pair of black slacks, with a purple loose -but fitting- shirt. "Too much?" I asked my aunt, unsure of my decision.

  "No, it's perfect," she kissed my forehead, "I'll be in the bathroom getting the straightener and make-up set up, get dressed."

30 MINUTES LATER