Chapter 16 - Escape!

There had been no real fallout from the Tunnel Snake episode after Chris had the meeting with Almodovar. The now disbanded gang avoided the petite brunette like the plague, never skulking in groups of more than three or security rousted them endlessly. Arianna'd healed up with no after effects and with the overseer's blessing, she and her man had settled into an almost storybook romance while in public areas. Behind closed doors though, they explored much more carnal playtime with improvised restraints and toys which made both quite content for the last month while Arianna started planning Amata's 18th.

After a particularly interesting foray into bondage that had included a now tattered t-shirt and a destroyed pair of exercise pants, both lovers lay in a tangle of limbs and bedclothes, the only sound the whir of the air recycler and Chris' occasional snore. A persistent buzzing started from the bedside table, the guard's pip-boy rocking from the continual vibrations. One blue eye cracked open and after the second bat at the offending unit, he managed to snag it and open the link.

"Sebastian."

Hunter's voice crackled over the commlink. "Get your ass up. We got problems so meet me at the security office to gear up.." There was a pause. "Shit's hitting the fan. Raina with you?"

The aforementioned female stirred at the sounds of conversation but Chris shushed her and rolled out of bed. "Yeah. Hang on."

Leaning over, he pressed his lips to her temple as he snapped the pip boy into place. "Sleep beautiful. I gotta go but it shouldn't take long." Fingers snatched fresh clothing off a pile on the dresser and he slipped out into the living area, swinging the bedroom door shut noiselessly. "What the hell do you mean?"

A long pause, then Hunter spoke again. "Doc's gone...roaches....just get up to security ASAP." The link went dead and Chris hurriedly pulled on various garments before leaving his quarters locked behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Chris headed right towards the stairwell to the upper levels, he ran into Wolfe and Taylor with flamers, backing off a dozen radroaches in the secondary hallway next to the restrooms. "What the hell.."

Wolfe gave a jaunty wave, Taylor a sour twist of the lips. "Crazy night, they're just..."

He didn't get to finish the sentence as the Almodovar's voice boomed over the PA system. "Attention vault 101 residents, this is the Overseer. All residents are hereby confined to their quarters. The radroach infestation is under control. Do not interfere with vault security personnel in the execution of their duties. Any resident found outside their quarters will be dealt with severely. That is all."

Wolfe gave a snort of laughter. "Says the man in the ivory tower. He's not out in the trenches getting things under control."

Chris started to jog. "True. Back with assistance in a few." Taking the stairs two at a time, he headed to the main Atrium then up to admin level where Hunter stood at the door to Security, usual grin missing and leaving a bleak expression on his face. "What, a few roaches got you this down? And what about Doctor Talos?"

Hunter grabbed his partner's shoulder and half dragged him into the locker room, sitting on a bench while Chris changed into his uniform and body armor. "Doc apparently left the vault and Almodovar is blaming the roach problem on him." Pausing, that blue gaze dropped and Hunter suddenly found the tips of his boots fascinating. "Chris, they're looking for Arianna. He wants to question her."

Chris' hands stilled on the buckles at his waist. "What? Why?"

The other man's shoulders lifted. "No idea unless he thinks she has any inkling of what the doc's plans were."

Finishing the cinching of the armor, Chris' formidable bulk moved till he and his partner were toe to toe. "Right now she's locked in my quarters with her own subroutine block. They can't get near her." A hand shot out. "So let's go take care of one problem and then we'll deal with that."