Although Alex stuck to her friends at the beginning, lots of different acquaintances were eager to chat with Alex. The flashing lights and booming music created a magical, freeing atmosphere in which everything was possible. With every conversation, Alex grew bolder and more confident. It was easy to yell out compliments or ask "Hey, we were in the same English last year, right?". Before Alex knew it, she had stepped out from her comfort zone— literally. She was surrounded by fellow classmates in the middle of the room, sipping punch and laughing and having a great time. Was it really this easy? Was this what being a high schooler was like?

A familiar song came on, and Alex lifted her head in recognition. Slightly slurred voices from every direction began to scream the lyrics. With a wide grin on her face, Alex instinctively joined in, her feet shifting in time with the beat.

"We were victims of the night
The chemical, physical, kryptonite..."

People were pumping their fists in the air and Alex followed suit. It felt like the music was enveloping her from every direction. Her white dress was painted purple by the lights, then pink and blue.

"Helpless to the bass and the fading light..."

Alex's eyes scanned the faces around her. Some she recognised, some with makeup on, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. (And no one was making out yet, thank goodness.)

And then—

"Oh we were bound to get together..."

Fred was there.

Standing there in a crisp white shirt, hands casually tucked in his pockets, a charming smile on his face.

"Bound to get together..."

He waved at her. She beamed back at him. He opened his mouth to say something, but she couldn't hear him over the music.

"She took my arm
I don't know how it happened
We took the floor and she said..."

"Can't hear you!" Alex cried back, putting her hands over her ears to show Fred.

"Oh don't you dare look back
Just keep your eyes on me!"

"I SAID!" Fred shouted with his hands cupped around his mouth, a gigantic smile on his face. "YOU LOOK! STUNNING TONIGHT!!"

"I said 'you're holding back'..."

"THANKS! YOU LOOK GREAT TOO, FREDDIE!"

"She said 'shut up and dance with me!'"

Alex wondered if he'd heard her, but his reaction a split second later confirmed he did. His smile lit up the whole room like a disco ball, its iridescent light easily reaching Alex.

Fred was her dear friend from her childhood and he always would be. But now, looking at his features under the party lights, it was like something had subtly shifted.

... Maybe she was seeing him in a new light.

(Or maybe it was just literally the new light.)

"This woman is my destiny..."

The indoor night air felt nostalgic and warm.

"She said oooh ooh oooh"

Fred's eyes were on her, and even though she'd known him forever, for some reason it felt... unfamiliar and almost exhilarating.

'"Shut up and dance with me!'"

-

Everything was Fine with a capital F. Although if Danielle was to be honest to herself, the F might've stood for something else.