44. The Drunken Escapade

Start from the beginning

Change, I ordered myself. But nothing happened. Oh, right. We transform.

Transform, I ordered again. But nothing happened still.

Lotta and Vince had finally calmed down a little, although it didn't look like Lotta would be joining me here in the next few moments.

Transform, I tried again, this time more urging.

Yet again, my body refused. Sun burn me, what was I doing wrong?

"I'm drunk," I said.

"No shit," Vince snorted.

"No, no. I'm drrunk. I don't know how to shift," I admitted.

Shift! Maybe that would work.

Shift. Yet, nothing again.

"How do I do this?" I grumbled.

Lotta got up with ease – I envied her for not immediately falling over like me. She'd have less bruises to worry about in the morning. But I had to remind myself that my bruises would probably have healed by morning, so there would be no painful remains on me.

She stood next to me as she explained what I had to do. "Just make your body change."

"I'm trying," I mumbled. "But how?"

I stumbled forward as she patted her hand on my shoulder and laughed. "Just like any other time. Just make your body transform."

She made it sound so easy.

Maybe it just was that easy. Maybe I didn't have to tell my body, maybe I just had to do it.

Yeah, that made sense.

But I needed to concentrate, because my mind was getting cloudy again. I had to concentrate on changing, I needed to change. My bones needed to twist and turn, I needed fur to grow out of my skin.

But the only thing that happened, was the screaming laughter of Lotta and Vince.

"What?" I demanded, crossing my arms. They'd made me lose my focus. I wasn't going to change this way.

"You look like you were pooping," Lotta screamed out as she rolled over. She was suddenly on the ground, and sadly I'd missed how she'd gotten there.

"I don't need to poop," I protested. "Forget it. You guys ruined it," I moped. I found my way back down, and tumbled on my back when I had meant to just be sitting. By the Moons, this was annoying.

"I just thought of something!" Lotta exclaimed.

"You? Thhhinking?" Vince countered, and I tried suppressing a snort. It didn't work, and Lotta sent me a playful glare.

"Ha-ha. But Sari, did you have your first transformation yet?"

She was talking too quickly. How was she still able to talk this fast?

"No," I said warily.

"Ha! Maybe that's why you can't change."

"What?" Vince and I asked in unison. We both sounded equally confused.

"It makes sense, think about it," she said. "On the Ascension, the Alpha bites you and then you transform. What if that's because the first transformation has to be because of an Alpha?"

She was saying too many words.

Vince seemed to have the same problem. "I'm too drunk for this."

"Me too!" I cheered, as I raised my hand to give him a high five.