What Sunsets Bring

Sasha held her phone on her right hand, having had lifted it in front of her face seven times already as she laid in bed, already showered and ready for the day. She barely had any sleep the night before as anxious and excited as she was about her first date with Shay. She knew it was a first step towards a big change in her life, and she didn't think there was anyone else she wanted to have that moment with.

But now she found herself awake for a couple of hours now, quite early for what was supposedly a lazy day. Her arms were limp on both sides of her, and she was sprawled in her bed, staring intently at her ceiling as if it would advice her on her dilemma on whether or not to contact Shay to hang out before their date. She hadn't ever done that, but she'd never craved someone's presence as much as she currently craved Shay's. And after weeks of avoiding each other, Sasha didn't want to be spending hours away from her... friend.

Steeling herself, she lifted her phone again and finally sent the message she'd typed and retyped about nine times before she decided it was casual enough.

Sasha: Is it weird to ask you to hang out before our date?

Sasha only had to wait a few seconds for Shay's reply, as if Shay had been waiting for a text.

Shay: Um...

Shay: I might be outside...

Sasha grinned, and moved from her room to the front door faster than she ever had before. She threw open her door, and she blushed as she saw Shay in short shorts and a loose shirt. It was as casual as Shay usually was when she went to Sasha's house to hang out. Sasha thought she looked extremely sexy.

Shay tried to smirk, but she still looked mostly shy and sheepish as she said, "So, I'm not the one who's eager."

Sasha leaned against doorjamb as she smiled, scrunching up her face. "It turns out we both are."

Before she could lose her nerve, Sasha moved forward and swiftly rose to her toes so she could place a kiss on Shay's cheek, pulling away quickly to avoid Shay's eyes. She grabbed Shay's hand and pulled the taller girl into her home.

"Breakfast then..." Sasha paused as she led Shay to a seat. "What are we doing?"

Shay shrugged, cheeks still a little pink over her tan skin from the innocent kiss on the cheek. "I didn't think that far. I just wanted to see you."

Sasha bit her lip, trying not to grin too wide, and she turned to start working on breakfast. "How long have you been standing outside?" she teased.

It was a full minute before Shay decided to respond. "Five." Pause. "Maybe ten minutes." Pause. "Yeah, ok. Maybe seventeen. I was just about to knock when you texted."

Sasha giggled, and Shay's heart warmed at the sound. They were silent for a bit, and it was comfortable, although they were both highly aware of the other. More aware than they usually were because of what they had both decided to acknowledge was present between the two of them.

When Sasha was done, she slid a stack of pancakes and a plate of bacon in between them. "So what do you have planned for later?"

Shay took a bite of pancake. "It's a surprise."

"Oh. Ok."

Shay only had to wait seven seconds.

"I can ask for a clue, right?"

Shay hid her smile behind her mug of freshly brewed coffee. "Nope."

Another six seconds.

"Please?"

Shay laughed. "Dress casual?"

Sasha pouted. "That's not much."

"It's all your getting. Actually, we can push it up our schedule. Go there a little earlier since we're already together anyway. Make a few changes to my plans." Shay thought for a bit. "We can drive around town? See what strikes our fancy."