Chapter 11: Right Back Where We Started

I groaned loudly as the strange time-traveling sensations left my body and I came into contact with the hard concrete of whatever alley I was in. I stood up and looked behind me, the vortex was shrinking.

"Five? Klaus? Diego? Allison? Vanya? Goddamnit, I'll even take Luther at this point! Five, where are you?!" I yelled as the vortex shriveled up and closed.

"Shit," I muttered. I turned around and saw a bustling city street. It looked nothing like The City I was just in a few moments ago, I was somewhere hotter and older. The fashion of the passersby seemed very 1950s/60s style. I cautiously ventured out of the alley in my strange clothes towards a newspaper stand. I snatched a paper and read the date.

"Dallas Times, May 15, 1963," I read aloud, "Damn." I looked around ad realized people were staring at me. I understood, a strange 16-year-old girl with clothes that weren't in style whatsoever was standing on the street reading a newspaper, I would probably be weirded out too.

I dug through my pockets, I only had things I had pickpocketed from people back in 2019. I had just enough cash to buy myself a cheap outfit that would make me stand out less and a meal for one night. I also had some poor sucker's iron supplements and a few hair ties.

I bought myself a classic 60s flower-print dress and some acceptable sandals. As I walked down the street in my new outfit, I spotted a guy following me. I was going to turn around and mess with his head, but I didn't want to draw attention, so I just picked up speed. He got closer and closer until he was right behind me.

As I was about to walk past an alley he shoved me into the alley and pinned me against the wall of a building. He held a knife to my chest and breathed his sickening breath into my face.

"Give me all your money," He ordered. I pulled $5 out of my pocket and handed it to him.

"Is this some kind of joke?" He hissed.

"No sir," I calmly replied, a smile growing on my face.

"What's so fucking funny? Empty your pockets." I did as I was told and handed him the iron supplements along with the hair ties. The pills' bottle and prescription name were from 2019, so the guy was confused.

"What are these?" He questioned.

"Drugs," I plainly responded. A plan beginning to form.

"What kind?"

"Hallucinogens."

"How do I know you're not fucking with me?"

"You're holding a knife to my chest. Why would I lie to a guy who's two inches away from stabbing me?" He thought my point over for a moment. He opened up the bottle and popped a pill. I smiled wickedly and toyed with his mind.

He stepped away in shock as the bricks from the building behind me began to dance and swirl. It was as though the building was slowly transforming into a human being. The hallucination was halfway between disturbing and awesome, leaving him dumbfounded.

He dropped the knife along with the rest of my items. I picked them up off the ground with a grin and started walking away.

"Hey!" A different, deeper, voice called from further down the alley. I saw a man with a cigarette in his mouth sitting at the back of the alley. He pulled the cigarette out of his mouth and held it between his fingers.

"Where'd you get that shit?" He asked.

"What's your name?" I inquired.

"Answer the question."

"Introductions first, then interrogations."

"They call me King."

"Well, King, I'm Y/n and I made these," I shook the pill bottle lightly, "Why do you wanna know?"