5. Is this love? Are we in love?

Jonathan's POV:

I quickly changed into a pair of basketball shorts and a faded tee, eager to get back to Luca.
I don't know what it was about him, but something made me anxious whenever I was around him. I couldn't yet tell if that was a good or bad thing.

I basically sprinted out of the bathroom, ignoring the toothbrush sitting on the counter. I'm not sure how Luca's really doing, mentally, emotionally, and physically, but I really didn't want him to get hurt, or hurt himself.
Was I being overprotective? Maybe a little...

"Jesus, Jonathan!" Luca exclaimed when I burst through the bedroom door, scaring him. "Sorry. Just...worried, that's all." I said, shrugging my shoulders.
"So, do you need anything before I go downstairs?" Luca hesitated, his eyes clouding over.

"Do you have to take the couch? I can take the floor, it's ok. I'm just glad to be here instead of..." Luca said, trailing off.
I nodded, understanding what he meant.
He didn't want to be in here alone all night.
"Ok, but I'm taking the floor!" I protested, not wanting him to be uncomfortable.

Maybe I was being a little to overprotective, as friends... Were we still friends?
I thought of the kiss earlier in the school hallway, the way his soft lips had touched mine.
The way my heart sped up, even though I'd only suggested it because he was trying to hide from the principal and his mom. Do I have a crush on Luca?
I think I do...

I grabbed a blanket and pillow off my bed, and threw them onto the floor.
"You don't have to do that, we can share." Luca suggested, and my heart sped up. I prayed my cheeks weren't as red as they were hot.

"Would you rather share tonight?" I asked, hopefully sounding casual.
The last thing I needed right now was to burden him with more emotions, even if it was love.
Was it love? No, it's just a crush. Right?
But even though I really didn't want him to get upset or emotional, I secretly prayed he would say yes, and I would wake up the next morning with him cuddling me in his arms, my arms wrapped around-focus, Jonathan!

He just nodded. Was he...blushing? I smirked a bit, desperately hoping he didn't see my face. "Alright, I just need to explain to my dads what's going on, ok?" I said softly, placing the pillow and blanket back on the bed.
He nodded again.

"D'you want the light off?" I asked, stopping in the doorway by the light switches.
"No." He answered, his voice was...shaky? I took one last look, into his dark, forest-green eyes, and left.

I quickly ran down the hall to the living room, where my dads were cuddling on the couch, watching 'The Office'.
It was our thing, to watch tv as a family every Friday night. And with the new tv, our excitement for this weekend was much greater, before Luca...

I wasn't blaming Luca for anything, of course it wasn't his fault. It's just movie night.
I sighed, sitting on the chair next to the loveseat my parents were sitting on.
"What's going on Jonathan? Who was that, and is he ok?" My father, Mark, asked, pausing the tv.

"It's...complicated. I don't really want to tell you everything, because I'm not sure if he'd want me to, but I can answer a few of your questions.
His name is Luca, he's a friend from school. And the reason he's here right now is...well, he's not exactly ok." I tried explaining, but my parents' faces switched from confusion to worry extremely quickly.

"No, not that bad!" I said before they could start assuming things.
"Again, I don't want to tell you everything because Luca might not want me to. But it has something to do with his personal life, and he's in quite a bit of trouble right now."

"But...he's here instead of at his house. Can you explain that?" My dad, Tom, asked.
I shook my head.
"Personal life." I said. I really didn't want to worry my parents, but I also didn't want to upset Luca if he found out I told them.

"Ok, can you at least tell us if he's safe? At home?" Mark asked.
They seemed to understand where I was coming from. I hesitated, before shaking my head. My parents' faces were a mix of sadness, anger, and fear for the boy lying in my bed right now.

"Jonathan, you understand that we have to call the police, or tell someone about this! We can't keep him here, that's kidnapping, we could get into serious trouble!" Tom said, standing up. He started pacing back and forth.

"On the other hand, if we tell someone, they're either going to take him back to his parents, or child services will take him and most likely put him into foster care."

"What do we do, Mark?"

There was a long pause, worry and fear cluttering the air.

"Let's keep him here tonight, and see. They might let him stay with us, since we have experience with adoption. We can ask Luca what he wants to do tomorrow. If he wants to tell us, or if he wants Jonathan to tell us, that's ok. We have to take care of this boy, Tom."

Maybe the overprotective thing was a family thing.
I smiled and hugged them, "Thank you guys! So much, for everything!" They smiled, reassuring me as I walked back down the hallway, to my room.
It was going to be a rough night, but my parents filled me with hope.