Chapter 13: Troubled Times!

Start from the beginning

Ace eventually did calm down but not as much as he needed to, Toni continued to hold Ariana in her arms while Ace sucked on a oxygen mask, trying to lose the smock and ash in his lungs, that was until two agents walked into the room.

Demi: Mr. Hicks? I'm Demi Carter and this is Connor Thompson, we're with Child Services...

Ace put the mask away and stood up standing between them and Ariana, Toni was a little worried of what Ace will do if they try to take Ariana away from him, he's really protective of her.

Demi: ... We need to take Ariana with us.

Demi said to him as Connor went to walk passed him, Ace stopped him though by putting his hand on his chest forcing him to stay in his place and look to Ace while Toni kept Ariana in her arms both watching.

Ace: You take one more step and I will punch you're teeth so far down you're throat, you'll have to shove your toothbrush up your ass to brush'em.

Toni and Ariana looked worried as Connor looked back to Demi while Ace just broke a federal law.

Connor: You know it's against the law to threaten a Special Agent.

Connor tried to intimidate Ace but Ace was easily the bigger man, Toni thought it was amusing but kinda cute that Ace is sticking up for this little girl.

Ace: I havent got much left to lose, what about you?

Ace challenged Connor calling the Agents bluff and it showed, Demi felt bad for them though and actually didn't see the problem in letting Ariana stay with Ace, he's 27, has a stable job and ran into a burning building to try and save his loved ones, he's clearly a good person.

Demi: Okay, you two knock it off...

Demi pushed Connor towards the door not legally aloud to touch Ace unless he gets physical, she didn't count him stopping Connor, he was just trying to keep his sister safe.

Demi: ... Mr. Hicks, we'll allow you to keep custody of Ariana but you need to sign a few things...

Ace calmed down a little and was happy to hear that even smiling behind him to his girlfriend and his sister, Ariana and Toni were happy to hear that Ace will get to look after, there was just one small problem, why would they need to take her away if his mother survived.

Ace: Excuse me...

Ace left the room leaving Toni, Ariana and the sleeping Carol with the two Child Services Agents, they left shortly after Ace to start the paper for Ace to become the new career of Ariana.

Ace made his way to the room he was told his mother was in but before he could walk in, the doctor walked out taking off his gloves and lowering his mask.

Ace: ... Where is she?

Ace asked trying to get into the room but for once Ace is the smallest out of the two and the doctor is more then able to hold him back from going in the room.

Doctor: Listen kid, you don't wanna go in there...

Ace struggled to get out the older man's grip but failed as he accepted the fact that he lost both his parents because he was too slow, if Ace didn't take so long getting them home then he might have been able to save them, Ace failed the people who gave him a family...

=========================

It's their last day at the hospital as Ace has been discharged, Carol woke up and Ace told her he was too slow but she told him that he's not to blame, the insurance company said it was an electrical fire, rare but can happen just out of the blue.