Ch.10: Formulating A Plan

Mulai dari awal

At that, Dorian chuckled, and Elsie whirled her head at him, her storm-colored eyes blazing with irritation. He cleared his throat after noticing the look on her face. "Don't worry about it. I highly doubt Agatha would do that."

"We're talking about the woman who has magic tantrums every time things don't go her way," she mentioned.

I was about to remark on the fact that Elsie was guilty of doing the same, but the Wind Slifer shot me a look that said if I dared open my mouth, she would not have a problem hurling my body across the room.

So, I wisely remained silent. Though, Redmond and I exchanged a knowing smile.

Dorian seemed like he wanted to say the same thing but luckily chose to spare his own ass and instead explained, "Don't get me wrong. I believe Agatha would not hesitate to destroy anything that might cause disturbance to the image she had created. But I don't think it was the same for the rulers."

"You mean they stopped her?" said Redmond.

"Most likely. Otherwise, Agatha wouldn't bother in making the lowest section restricted."

"But, why?"

Something in Dorian's eyes shifted, and it quickly flashed by as he gave Redmond a nonchalant smile. "Perhaps whatever is in there brought a sense of shame to the rulers, and they chose to keep it as a reminder that they can do better?"

"That's oddly specific," I pointed out.

He laughed, though something in the way he did it felt forced. "You know how these monarchs are. They always want to rise above any mistakes. Well, the good ones, I suppose."

My thoughts drifted to Gabriel. When he told me of what happened to his mother on his supposed wedding day, it seemed to me that he was willing to do anything not to repeat his failures in protecting his family.

It wasn't his fault, obviously. But it appeared as if he blamed himself all throughout these years -blamed himself for trusting Evine. And when I had met him, the only thing left was the shadow of a man long lost.

But during those final weeks in Imarnia, it felt like a glimmer of who he used to be was slowly surfacing.

"Well, in that case," stated Redmond. "All we need to do is figure out how to get into the lowest level."

"Whoa, there," Dorian protested, raising a hand. "I didn't exactly agree to help you yet."

Elsie glared at him and peeled back her lips in a grimace. "You can't be serious!"

I lifted an eyebrow. "You're not planning on telling Agatha, are you?"

After all, Dorian still served her. And I wasn't exaggerating when I called him an ass-kisser. He threw his weight back on the cushion, hands tucked behind his head. "What's in it for me?"

"How about not having the air drained out of your lungs?" suggested Elsie, her teeth set in a leering smile that was nowhere near sweet. Dorian flinched, shrinking in his seat.

"Now, Elly." I put a hand on her shoulder, and she almost snarled at the nickname. "That's not the right way to ask for someone's help."

Dorian flashed a cheeky grin at her, and I swear I felt the air around us tense.

"We don't have anything to offer you," Ayana chirped in, her face contorting in worry. "This might be a step closer to saving the rulers. That's all we want. Don't you want that too?"

He blinked at her in surprise, then the corner of his lips curved into a grin. "Of course. I wasn't actually serious. I was just teasing you, little Slifers."

Elsie and I rolled our eyes. Ayana just smiled dimly, and Redmond shook his head at Dorian's silliness.

"Anyways," he went on. "Obviously, I want answers as much as you do. But the problem is, how do I get the four of you into the archives?"

"Maybe it's better if only two of us went?" I proposed.

"It doesn't matter how many," Dorian proclaimed. "The guards won't let any of you with me. And there's no way I'm accessing any of the lower sections."

At that, silence slithered in, and we all fell back into our own thoughts. Dorian was right. We had to find a way to enter with him, as well as a way for us to get out.

"About that..." said Elsie. She tore her gaze from the empty space to us, and her eyes lit with possibility. "I think I know how we can get in."

She didn't wait for us to question her reasoning but rather extended her forearm as if in a display, rolling the sleeve of her shirt all the way to her elbow. For a few seconds, nothing happened.

And then a small flare of magic trickled down my spine.

It wasn't from me but from the Wind Slifer, whose arm had diminished into the air, blending with the nothingness. It appeared she was moving it, for her shoulder flexed, but I couldn't see anything-only the faint, transparent outline of her skin.

Dorian whistled impressively. Upon hearing it, Elsie immediately willed her flesh to show before tucking back the sleeve of her shirt.

"I can only do parts of my body...for now," she explained, then grumbled. "Although I need to be rid of my clothes completely."

"That's fine with me," Dorian smirked.

I heard the sound of the wind as it knocked back the chair he was sitting on, and he tumbled to the side, landing on the floor with a howling laugh.

"As I was saying," she continued, clearly not satisfied with Dorian's unbothered state. "I'm sure each of us can do the same. However, it takes time to shift into our designated element perfectly."

She wasn't wrong about that. For me, I was only able to reform my hands, but the fire wouldn't expand beyond my wrists.

"How much time, exactly?" Dorian asked, getting off the floor.

"It depends. We're pretty strong as it is. With enough discipline and dedication, we can perfect it in a few days. At least, I'm speaking for myself."

"Then we'll master it together," I affirmed, then turned to Redmond and Ayana. "It's best if Elsie and I do this. Fire and air can easily infiltrate places, especially an underground archive."

The two nodded, though they seemed a bit unsure.

"And what should I do?" said Dorian.

"Is it well lit down there?" I probed.

"Not precisely. Why?"

"Perfect." I smiled." I could disguise myself as candle flames."

"And your job is to ensure both of us are there with you," Elsie instructed, though it sounded somewhat more of a threat.

Dorian appeared perplexed. "But I can only get you past the first section. After that, you're on your own."

"Leave that to us," I assured him as I got up from the bed. "For now, we'll focus on training our bodies."

There was a sense of challenge and excitement in both mine and Elsie's faces. If we do this right...if we can shift our forms entirely, then all that's left is to go down there. Gods know what might be awaiting us, and there was a dread-filled pit in my chest that didn't want to find out.