Chapter 29 ▴ Empire of Death

After Raymond bought a batch of fresh-baked croissants from a bakery for himself, the group took two taxis heading to the Catacombs of Paris

After Raymond bought a batch of fresh-baked croissants from a bakery for himself, the group took two taxis heading to the Catacombs of Paris. Raymond rode along with the Faust Twins while Amelia got with Athena and Zeus.

Amelia briefly told the brother-sister duo everything she and Raymond had experienced for the last few days, from their seemingly easy escape from Kingston Manor all the way to Raymond unlocking Talaria's power of high-speed flight. Just as she promised to Raymond, she didn't mention anything about the gunshot wound she got from their encounter with the Mafia's goons.

Athena and Zeus were not really pleased to hear the trouble that they had gone through, but their concerns were overshadowed by one, much more important encounter.

"You met another Chosen?" Athena said, her tone full of disbelief. "And she's a World War 2 veteran at that. Meeting her out of nowhere is suspicious. . ."

"Well, I'm not even sure if Hatsu is a Chosen," Amelia said hastily. "She seemed to know more than she was letting on. I could've asked more about her life, but there was the language barrier and the fact that she basically kicked me out of her house."

"Amelia, it's obvious that she's a Chosen!" Athena insisted. "You said that she called with the chan honorific, right? From what I understand here, you are obviously close to her."

"If it was the case, then she obviously has memories of Hera a long time ago," Amelia guessed. "If she had those memories, that would mean she's a reincarnate, just like Demetrius."

"But you don't know that."

"You don't know that either."

"Athena actually does," Zeus butted in. "You said Hatsu had a fuzzy memory. Why would she say that if she'd remembered everything that happened to her from the beginning of time?"

"I can't believe that I agree with you, brother." Athena took a deep breath. "Hatsumomo might be Hestia."

Amelia stared at her, wide-eyed. "H-Hestia?"

"It makes sense," Athena said. "She has an affinity for fire, like Alistair, but it seems that she uses it more for healing rather than fighting. The fireplace in that room you said you stayed in is quite an obvious clue. If I'm not mistaken, not many Japanese homes have built-in chimneys."

Amelia rested her back on the car seat. Why hadn't she thought of that before? Her gunshot wound must've got to her that bad to make her not see through the obvious.

"And how about you guys?" Amelia asked. "What happened when you were in the temple?"

The two siblings shared a knowing glance.

"You can say that we also met another one of us," Zeus said grimly.

Amelia's brow shot up. "What?"

"The mafia were already on our tail when we arrived in Kyoto," Athena explained. "When we both reached Kozan-ji, it was just a matter of who stole it first. We forced everyone to evacuate the temple. Leonidas was the only powered man that we knew of who led the enemy group."