18. Moonlight Walk

Start from the beginning

Everyone had a place they were supposed to be.  Harry, Ron, and Hermione were supposed to meet in the common room to head to the trap door together.  Sirius, Severus, and Serena each had posts where they were supposed to stay to look out for Harry and his friends.  With any luck, they planned to stop this dangerous notion of Harry's and send him back to his dorm room immediately.  Of course, it didn't work out that way.

For one thing, Harry had the Invisibility Cloak that he had not told Serena about.  That's how they planned to get to the trap door without getting caught.  

The second thing, however, was something that no one expected.

Serena was waiting on the third floor, right in front of the corridor door when Severus came tiptoeing down the hall.  He was so quiet that she didn't even know he was there until he tapped her softly on the shoulder.  She whirled around, letting out a cry of surprise.

"Severus," she said in a hushed whisper, "you're supposed to be patrolling the halls.  What are you doing up here?"

He smiled slyly at her.  "I have wonderful news.  Harry and his friends were caught.  Their safe."  He took her hand.  "Which means you and I have the rest of the evening to ourselves."

"That's wonderful!" Serena exclaimed.  She was elated.  "Oh I'm so glad that crisis was averted.  I'll have to remember to give Harry a good talking to when I see him again."

Severus nodded in agreement.  "I think that is a great idea.  But for now, I'd love it if you would come for a moonlight stroll with me."

A smile spread across her lips.  "I would love it."

With Serena's hand in Severus's, they hurried away from the third floor corridor.  

The moon beamed bright in the night sky, illuminating the path down to the Forbidden Forest.  There were crickets chirping loudly and owls hooting all around them.  Serena leaned against Severus as they strolled past the entrance to the forest and Hagrid's Hut.

"It's a beautiful night," she said dreamily.

Severus looked down at her.  "It's not as beautiful as you."

If it would have been daylight, he would have been able to see her cheeks flush a rosy red.  "You're too kind."

He cleared his throat.  "I really am."  He suddenly let go of her and took a few steps back.  "To you, anyway.  You're more trouble than you're worth."

Serena stared at him, unsure if he was joking or if he was trying to rip her heart right out of her chest.  "Severus, you're a laugh sometimes."

A sneer appeared on Severus's face.  "I wasn't joking, Serena.  You really don't see it, do you?" he asked, amused.

Her heart plummeted in her chest.  "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."  She definitely didn't like the tone of his voice.  This wasn't like him.

He laughed, a high, cold laugh that was so unlike him.  He got really close to her face, his expression twisted into anger.  "You're a fool."

Tears came to her eyes.  "What do you mean?"

He took a wand from his robes and aimed it right at her chest.  She didn't have time to react now even if she could have found the strength.  

"One wrong move and I'll obliterate you," he snarled, grabbing her wrist angrily.  He reached around to her side and pulled her wand from its holster.  He threw it to the ground, then dragged her away toward the other end of the grounds.