15: The Serpent Underneath the Flower (4)

Start from the beginning

"All right," Lu Baiyu said through clenched teeth.

Shu Yue's eyes danced with mischievous amusement, and she felt a triumphant smile spread over her face.

"I couldn't believe I had taken such a selfish and cunning woman as a disciple." Lu Baiyu took a book from his robe, the complete copy of the Claw of the Eternal Beast, and handed it to Xiao Ran.

"Now, release him," Lu Baiyu demanded.

Shu Yue's smile widened. She knew that Lu Baiyu didn't comply with her in order to save Fa Xiang's life. He only did it to keep his reputation from being tarnished. If he chose to disobey Shu Yue, then that would mean choosing to let his disciple die. Such action was very unfitting for an elder. It would be even worse if such an act would be witnessed by someone like Shu Yue. The consequences could be used against him.

Afraid of damaging his reputation, Lu Baiyu had no choice but to comply and prioritize his disciple's life. Fa Xiang was currently his disciple. What kind of an elder was he if he couldn't even protect and save one disciple? As an elder, Lu Baiyu's options were limited and his actions were restrained due to the image he was trying to maintain. Shu Yue was aware of this, and it was how she was able to turn the tides in her favor. She could tell by looking at Lu Baiyu that the old man was aware of it as well. He knew that he was constrained, and Shu Yue was taking advantage of this.

After all, everyone had images to keep, and Shu Yue was no exception. But at this very moment, she didn't bother keeping up her act and just shed all pretenses. She was tired of playing the role of a saint.

It was time for a break.

Shu Yue tilted her head, her face half innocent, half curious. "Release him? And why would I do that?"

Lu Baiyu went white, his eyes widening in terror. Then his expression of fear and shock changed to one of frustration and anger. "Stop playing and release my disciple!"

From the corner of her eye, Shu Yue noticed Ye Fan move. She shifted the sword slightly, grazing the man's already wounded flesh. Fa Xiang broke into a scream of anguish.

"Young Lady Chen!" Lu Baiyu bellowed, his voice reverberating throughout the forest like a roar of a wild beast. "Release my disciple now; I already gave the copy of the Claw of the Eternal Beast."

"But Master," Shu Yue protested. She slowly pulled half an inch of the blade from Fa Xiang's chest, drawing another scream of agony from the man. "I don't remember saying anything about releasing him." She sighed and pulled out the rest of the blade from Fa Xiang's body.

With a groan, Fa Xiang sank to his knees and clutched his wounded chest with one hand.

"Fa Xiang, isn't it?" Shu Yue slammed her foot into the man's back, pinning him to the ground. "Don't you dare insult my fox or the entire demihuman race, Fa Xiang." Her gentle voice was laced with venom. "I despise it when someone disrespects my fox."

"What the hell are you doing?" Lu Baiyu hollered. "We had an agreement. You would let him go if I gave you the manual. I've already done my part; now it's your turn."

Shu Yue looked at him, a faint smile playing on her lips. "Did we?"

Lu Baiyu went rigid. "What?"

"If I recall correctly, I did not make any agreement with you; all I said was that he might bleed to death if you keep arguing with me, but do you remember me giving you my word that I would release him or something along those lines?"

The blood drained out of Lu Baiyu's face. "Y-you tricked me. You fucking tricked me!"

Trembling with rage, Lu Baiyu drew the sword from his back. It was the same longsword. A bluish aura enveloped the blade as he strengthened it with his chi.