I missed you man

A soft beeping noise in the distance, a wierd smell, people talking in the distance and the ticking of flickering lights. Eddie slowly got conscious of his surroundings. He felt a hand resting on his own. He wanted to open his eyes but he couldn't. He really wanted but he was just so god dammed tired.
The distant voices were getting clearer, he could make out what they were saying.
"He is progressing rapidly, we think he will wake up soon." A deep voice Eddie did not recognise.
"Are there any other updates?" Eddie did know that one. His heart fluttered a bit and he heard a beeping sound nearby grew intenser for a moment.
"I'm sorry, no updates yet." The doctor said as he walked away. The door closed and Steve was left alone with Eddie, just like it's been every day since Eddie fought the demobats.
"Hey Munson" Steve sighed "looks like it's just you and me  again." Eddie wanted to talk, he wanted to tell Steve he was awake. Eddie felt a need to comfort Steve, hearing Steve's voice this sad was torture.
"Dustin is coming at 4. He misses you, you know." Eddie felt how Steve's head lay down on him, he felt Steve breathe a warm breath on his chest. In and out.
"Dustin isn't the only one missing you man" a tear falling from his eyes. Eddies heart screamed. He tried his best to open his eyelids to see the man besides him. But as hard as he tried he could not open them.
And slowly he felt himself slipping away again towards a very deep sleep.

- Time jump to the next day -

Just like everyday Steve came to the hospital at exactly 8 in the morning. He wanted to be there for Eddie when he woke up. He stepped out of the car, put his jeans jacket on and walked towards the hospital.
Just like everyday Steve first bought a coffee in the cafeteria before going to Eddies room to sit there, holding Eddies hand while he watched tv.
So that is what he did, he sat there. Patient till the doctor came to run some tests. She smiled "mr. Harrington, it seems like he is conscious." Steve felt as if the giant elephant on top of his chest decided to leave. He was so goddamn happy he could dance. A huge smile appeared on his otherwise so serious face.
"He probably won't give any signs yet, he has been unconscious for a while so it cou..." Steve was only listening with half his attention span to the doctor. He did catch one thing she said "it might help him to awaken more quickly if he feels touch or hears your voice." She smiled and as she walked by Steve she lay a hand on his shoulder "he's going to be alright, he soon can go home." She squeezed his shoulder shortly and then left.
Steve was just sitting there, a million butterflies fluttering in his belly. He felt so much relief, it was the first time in a long time he could smile again.
In his happiness he jumped up and took eddies beautiful face in his hands, his face was inches away from eddies. He smiled and said to Eddie

"You hear that Munson? You're gonna be fine! You'll wake up soon and you'll be fine!" Steve said enthusiastically. He took a deep breath, rested his forehead against Eddies and whispered confirming "you'll be fine" a little satisfied laugh appeared on his lips, he closed his eyes and stayed like this for a while.

"You smell like coffee and flowery soap." Eddies voice was just a whisper, barely loud enough to hear. But Steve heard it, he opened his eyes and staring right back at him where the deep hazel brown eyes of Eddie. 'God I missed those eyes' was the first thing that went to Steve's mind. The second thing was 'ow shi- I need to get a nurse!' He jumped up and ran out of the room as fast as he could, leaving a really confused Eddie behind. Steve had almost immediately found a nurse and ran back to Eddie, afraid he would loose him again. But when he got back in the hospital room Eddies eyes where still open.
Steve sat besides Eddie, holding his hand tightly afraid that if he let go Eddie would die. He refused to let go the entire time the nurse asked Eddie questions about how he was feeling.
But eventually Steve had to let go when they brought some food for Eddie.

The food looked wierd and the broccoli was very over cooked with no salt. But Eddie ate it, he ate all of it. He was so hungry that he didn't talk to Steve till his entire plate was empty. And Steve just looked at him, a twinkle in his eyes.
When Eddie finished the last bite he finally put down his fork and knife and looked at Steve. They sat there for about 5 minutes looking in each other's eyes, taking it all in.

The machine connected with eddies heart was beeping a bit faster just like the day before as Eddie noticed Steve was still wearing the denim vest Eddie had given him days ago. He smiled, then realised the monitor was beeping really fast so he stopped looking at Steve.

Steve was the first to speak "you look like you haven't eaten for days man."
Eddie laughed at that remark but then an evil smile showed on his face, looking Steve in the eyes he said "Well if you're up for it I can always eat your pussy Harrington" Steve felt a blush on his face but no way in hell was he going to let Eddie have the last word so he put a hand on his neck (like a really rich lady) and said in a really squeaky voice with a heavy British accent "oh sir Munson, how dare you use such vulgar language." He tried his best to sound very insulted and pouted his lips looking away from the Munson boy.
"My deepest regrets malady" Eddie replied "I shall rephrase." He held a very poetic hand in the air "To quote from a poem I read once from the great Shakespeare himself..." he smiled a cunning smile at Steve.

Sir Steve,
I'll graze on your lips
And if those hills be dry
I'll stray lower
Where the pleasant fountains lie

Eddie threw a wink in Steve's direction. And They both started laughing, hard and loud. Tears rolled down their cheeks but for the first time in months those tears were joyous. And as they slowly stopped giggling Steve looked at Eddie with the most sincere smile ever and said
"I missed you man"