Chapter 12 | music to my ears

Start from the beginning

The prettiest in-crowd that you had ever seen
Chains around our necks, and our eyes gleamed mean
A freshmen generation of degenerate beauty queens
And you know somethin'?

They were the only friends I ever had
We got into trouble and when stuff got bad
I got sent home, I was wavin' from the car window
Cryin' 'cause I know I'm never comin' back

This is what makes us boys
We all look for heaven and we put our love first
Somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse
Don't cry about it, don't cry about it
This is what makes us boys
We all stick together 'cause we put our love first
Don't cry about her, don't cry about him
It's all gonna happen

Luka knew exactly the kind of vibe he was trying to convey from the song. It was about Adriens first ever friends, and how he was scared they'd be torn away from him by his fathers iron grip.

A song about teenage rebellion and growing up alongside your best friends, with something threatening them just over your shoulder. The constant state of having fun with the looming thought in the back of your head it could be torn away at any moment. And the line about the boy with the guitar? A clear reference to him he appreciated.

'Mascara running down his little bambi eyes, "Adri how I hate those girls"

The first time they talked about being heartbroken by girls. One day after school, when Luka came to pick up Jueleka. He seemed upset, and when Adrien asked about it he learnt it was because Marinette had broken up with him in a really confusing way. Adrien felt that, he'd been rejected again by Ladybug that same day. They sat outside in he school and talked about heartbreak, it was the first time they felt like real deep friends.

"Wow... this is amazing..." Luka said.

"Really? You're just saying that..." Adrien replied.

"No seriously! This is... perfect! All the emotion is perfectly conveyed, there's a story, a feeling, something people can relate to, it's perfect. I have the exact idea you're going for. I gotta tune my guitar for this"

Luka was immediately to work, prepping his guitar for recording. A spark in his eye, inspiration flowing through his veins.

"You... mean that?" Adrien asked.

"Adrien, you could seriously be a lyricist. A whole musician even. If you can write this well, and you have music skill, you can make a whole career from this" Luka said.

Well, he definitely would prefer being a musician to being model. Especially if it was with Luka, or the band. He could picture himself travelling the world with them singing into the night about all his feelings.

His mother always did love music too... she'd love it if he became a musician.

"Ok, let's record all the instruments and all mix them over the weekend. Then next practice we can do vocals" Luka said.

"Sound like a plan. But the song doesn't really fit the bands vibe doesn't it?" Adrien replied.

"Doesn't matter, the band won't mind. Plus this is YOUR song"

Maybe he should write more songs, this was actually really fun. And he was able to get some pent up emotion out in a healthy way.

The spent the rest of the afternoon recording the instruments, and that night Luka was up mixing things together. A copy of the lyrics next to him on the desk as he cut and put together each layer of instrumental. Backing violin, piano tune, main guitar and drum beat, all coming together to create a song that sounded like a bittersweet melody.

He could hear the lyrics in his head as he listened over the instrumental, knowing exactly where they'd go and how they'd match to the instruments. But there was one part he just couldn't get over.

There he was, my new best friend
Guitar on his back, swayin' in the wind
While he starts to cry
Mascara running down his little Bambi eyes
"Adri, how I hate those girls"

He didn't think Adrien would add a nod to him into the song, but he definitely didn't mind. He felt kind of... honoured. His heart skipped a beat thinking about Adrien singing those lyrics directed at him.

Even though the lyrics said 'best friend' he felt like it meant more. Maybe he just just hung up on a crush, but why would he make a lyric about him if it didn't mean something. Adrien was always very equal with his friends, he showed them all the same amount of affection so no one felt left out. But he made a whole part of the song... just for Luka.

Maybe he was overthinking it. But Luka couldn't help but feel like that lyric meant something more.