Chapter 16: A Chink in the Armor

Start from the beginning

He gave me a lingering look.

"Whatever you want."

I went to the weapons room and took a shackle. I removed one key from the ring. I don't know why I'm doing this. Nothing changed. I just...I will salvage you this one time. We can go back to wishing each other dead after this. But today, I'll let you out. Just because you sold one of your brothers for me.

I walked to the interrogation room and found Jötunn outside the door. I tossed the shackle to him.

"We're taking him. Let me talk to him first."

I quickly entered. I heaved a deep sigh as I walked towards him. I sat on the table and discreetly slid the key. He noticed. He looked up at me and we stared at each other.

"You're going to come with us."

I said in the most casual voice I could muster. Then I stormed out of the room. I motioned for Jötunn to get him. I went back to the weapons room to get a gun and a rifle before going to the lines of cars parked outside. I saw Jimin being loaded in. Fight for your life. I don't care how you do it.

I rode solo in my own car. Jin hyung was in the head of the convoy. I took my in-ear and fastened the covert mic on the collar of my shirt.

"Pale Man, in."

"We hear you loud and clear."

"We're rolling out."

"Who's with the snake?" Basilisk asked.

"In with the deadweight."

I heard Harpy say. She's with Jimin? The cars started to move out. I peered at the rearview mirror. His was three cars behind me. We reached an almost empty freeway. The car behind me overtook mine. I looked at the mirror again. Their car swerved a little. I took a deep breath. I hope he...she's fine. I looked out front. Most of the cars were already out of my sight. Another one passed me again.

Then I saw the car veered out of lane and into the other before it flipped sideward and crashed. My car screeched into a stop. I took my gun and hopped off.

"Bigfoot here. We have a little delay. We'll be with you shortly."

"What happened?"

"Snake's out of the basket."

"Need help?"

"Nah. We can handle it."

"Jötunn and Harpy?"

"Not sure yet."

Then a gunshot.

"Fuck. Gwishin's down. Will pursue."

I ran. Fuck. Fuck. Why didn't I think of it? Why did I miss it? He'll kill. Of course he will. I saw the overturned car. I heard more gunshots. I went to it and looked inside. Harpy was sprawled at the back. I reached in and felt her carotid pulse. There was none. I noticed the chain marks on her neck. Shit. I'm so sorry. I'm really sorry. I moved to the driver's side. Jötunn was there, unconscious. His head was bleeding but he's still breathing. Sorry, I have to move you. I pulled him out of the car and dragged him to the side of the road. Then I ran again.

More gunshots. I passed by Gwishin's body. A bullet to the head. I took a deep breath. This is all my fucking fault. I ran faster. I don't know where they went. I saw a man scampering away from the bridge. I loped towards it. Meters away, I can see Bigfoot and Jimin fighting. Bigfoot is large and strong. But Jimin is quick and strategic. His brute strength was no match for him.

Jimin's arms were tightened around Bigfoot's throat by the time I was only a few feet away. He was kneeling while Jimin was behind him. His eyes were already rolling back, his arms thrashing weakly. He's going to die. This has to end. I stopped and aimed my gun. I took a deep breath before I squeezed the trigger. Jimin harshly flinched. Bigfoot plopped to the ground. He looked ahead and our eyes met.

Run. Don't just stand there. Fuck you. Run. He looked at me while holding on to his bloody shoulder.

"Pale Man, move a little to your right. I have visual."

Fucking shit. The others have already caught up to us. I drew the slide and pointed the gun once more. Then he ran. He was followed by a slew of bullets. Run faster. Fucking run faster. He jumped over the bridge and into the water. I darted after and looked down along with two others who were shooting at him. I was holding my breath, hoping that I won't see the water tinted red.

"We lost him." Dal Tokki said over the line.

"How do we know? He might be dead."

"As long as we don't see a body, he's not."

"How did he even escape?"

I stared at the water as I listened to their conversation. It's so still. Where is he?

"Body Count?" Jin hyung asked.

"Two. Gwishin and Harpy."

"Where's the Pale Man?"

"I'm here."

"Follow quickly. I need to talk to you."