Chapter 12: Lifeline

Start from the beginning

"But you already killed." Jungkook glared at me. "You killed many. How will I love you? Why will I love you? Why will anyone love you?"

I wept. He's right. Why will anyone love me?

"I'm sorry. I don't know. I'm sorry."

I heard a loud, devilish laugh. I turned and saw the Grim Reaper approaching us. I desperately tried to untie the binds of Jungkook's hands and feet. I can't fucking do it. They're too tight. My hands were shaking. They're too fucking weak. Please. He's coming. The motherfucker is going to kill him. He's going to fucking take him.

Jungkook was just looking at me indifferently. "Go. Leave me. You don't deserve me."

"I know. I know. I'll bring you to safety first. Then I'll leave you. Please. Come with me."

"Safety? You think you can keep him safe?"

The Grim Reaper was already behind Jungkook. His hands were on his shoulders.

"Don't touch him! Motherfucker! I swear if you hurt him, I'm going to kill you!"

"Kill me then. Because I will hurt him. I will hurt him to hurt you. I will hurt him...slowly and painfully. So you will suffer the same way."

"I will kill you! I will kill you!"

"You will kill him too?" Jungkook quietly interrupted.

"What?" I looked at him through the blur in my eyes.

"Is it not enough? That you intended for me to die?"

"What?"

"You chose for him to meet death the moment you decided to stay with him." He was grazing his index finger along the sharp edge of a knife. "Didn't you learn from others? You are not allowed to love. Because you will condemn them to death."

He caressed the top of Jungkook's head. "You are very unlucky. You fell in love with an angel of death."

Jungkook's large doe eyes pierced through me. He didn't look mad or sad. Unlike how he was a while ago. I don't understand. I can't understand what his look means. I held his gaze as my tears fall nonstop. Then his eyes widened and shook. And blood gushed out of his slashed throat.

"NO!"

I screamed at the top of my lungs. I can't breathe. I can't move. I want to run to him. But I can't. A strong wind blew. Lifting something with it. I watched as feathers swirled in the air. I looked back at Jungkook. The Grim Reaper was plucking the plumes on his wings. His eyes were still open, still staring at me. Then, they slowly shut.

"NO!"

I shrieked. Squirmed. Thrashed.

"NO!"

"Tae...Tae...up."

"No."

I sobbed. I felt a warm and light pressure stroking on my cheeks.

"Taehyung."

Jungkook?

"Taehyung. It's me. Jungkook. Did you have a bad dream?"

It's as if I was underwater. I can't hear anything. Except for him. His voice tore through. I felt a tight hold enveloping me.

"It's just a nightmare. Don't be scared. I'm here."

I was finally able to see and hear around me. I sniffed. I was cradled against Jungkook's chest, within his embrace. He was gently rocking us back and forth. The tender rubs on my back were soothing me. I felt my heart relaxed as I listened to his soft and low humming and the steady beating of his heart. My eyes were getting heavier. I snugged closer and wrapped my arms around him. He stroked my hair and gave me a light kiss on my forehead.