"I just want to check up on you. I know you said we were taking it a day at a time but I just wanted to see you." He gave me a soft smile.

"Wanna go to my office?" I questioned.

"Sure ladybug."

We walked to my office. I pushed the door open.

"Beautiful." He sat on the couch. I sat next to him.

"If you're here about the article. About mom getting raided, don't be mad okay."

"I'm not mad at all." He shook his head. "I was always against the marriage."

"Were you?"

He nodded. "But I take accountability for forcing it about a year ago. I wasn't sober. To be honest, I haven't been for the last ten years."

"Last time we talked you were clean. Still going strong?"

"Five months clean. It doesn't excuse my actions but I don't want to ever leave the earth knowing I didn't try. I love Kaelyn, dearly, but you. I love you a billion times more. A part of me started using it because I knew that the fate of your future was out of my hands."

"So be honest. Did she ever love me?"

"She did. Your mother was a person who made poor and irrational decisions. Me too. She didn't sign you over intentionally. That's not excusing her behavior. She loves you."

"But she said some awful things."

"The old Kaelyn. I don't know about this new one."

"Your brother is next. When they finish going through the tapes, he'll be arrested too. Since Kaelyn is in prison, I can terminate the marriage contract. I'm meeting with her lawyers in an hour."

"You'll still be able to get married?"

"Yeah. Everything's right with the law and the Landon's won't lose their fortune. I won't lose mine."

"Speaking of. I want to give everything I have to you, Athena. I'm offering it to you again."

"I don't want it. It won't sway me over."

"That's not my purpose."

I sighed.

"The companies, the fast life, it's the reason why I'm in this position. I'll give them to you. You can sell them, keep them, run them. Do whatever, but it isn't for me anymore."

"You love the space company. You love engineering. You can't give it up."

"Oh wait, I'm keeping my space company."

We both laughed.

"But for now, I'm going to travel the world and enjoy the places as a human." He smiled. "And, what do you young folks say? Find myself. I'm going to find myself and become a better man."

"I like that plan."

"And if you're open, I'd like to rebuild with you."