SIX

I placed my paintbrush down before stepping back to admire my work. A bouquet of white roses. Those are the only things that have been in my mind since I've been receiving strange gifts.

"That's the simplest thing I've seen you do." Tobias chuckled.

"Thanks, I guess."

"I'm hosting a dinner tonight for a couple of my friends because they want to meet you." He sighed. "And it's a pr stunt."

"Copy that."

"And tomorrow, my parents got us courtside tickets to the Lakers game." He nodded.

"Will Lauren be at the dinner?"

"No. Sorry about the other night. I know that was kind of off guard, I didn't expect for y'all to meet like that."

"It's whatever. It's your place, you can do what you want." I shrugged.

He remained silent and sat down on the couch. I began adding fine detail to my painting.

"I know you like fashion design, but have you ever thought to do an art gallery? I mean your artwork is beautiful." He smiled.

"I mean yeah, but I paint to decompress, and making it a hobby will take my joy of painting away."

"Who taught you."

"My fathers money."

"Oh."

"You know Tobias, we know nothing about each other." I started.

I know this wasn't a real relationship ordeal, but I'd at least like to live with someone who I knew. I didn't know his likes or dislikes or what made him mad.

"What do you want to know about me?"

"What's your middle name?"

"Avery."

"Can I ask you a question?" He raised his eyebrow while grabbing a magazine.

I nodded.

"How do you and Lauren know each other?"

"We were best friends once upon a time, along with Kelsey." I sighed while turning towards him. "But our families got entangled into business together and that didn't go so well so that caused us to split."

"Small world."

"Okay, now I have a question for you."

"Shoot." He cracked a smile before placing his phone down.

"What do you do besides work?"

"I like to watch sports."

"Boring."

"What's boring about watching sports? It's exciting."

"It's exciting but everyone watches sports."

"Everyone paints." He responded in a defensive tone. I chuckled before sitting on the single couch across from him. "So what's the creative thing you do?"

"I smoke weed and do whatever my mind tells me."'

"You smoke weed? I haven't smelled it."

"I haven't since I've moved here but yes. You should try it out one day. It relaxes the body, I use it as a way to meditate."

"I could use anything right now."

"Seriously?"

~

Tobias patted his chest while coughing. I chuckled before grabbing a bottle of water and handing it to him.