THIRTY-SIX

"No! No! No!" Valeria yelled while watching Lotus drop the tray of sandwiches. "Lotus! How!"

"I didn't do it on purpose." He sighed.

"The sandwiches! No!" I pouted while walking toward the pile. I squatted down while picking them up. "Lotus."

"It's okay. I made extra." Kaleb smiled while holding the tray.

"Miracle worker! Yes!" Valeria smiled.

Lotus huffed before picking up the rest of the sandwiches. "I'll be in my office if you need me."

He quickly walked out.

"What's his problem?" Valeria furrowed her eyebrows.

"I forgot about you two," I said slowly.

Kaleb slowly nodded before placing the tray of sandwiches on the table. "I'm about to leave, he can come back."

"You two need to talk it out." I stood up.

"I hurt him, he's gonna talk on his terms. Lotus is stubborn."

"Tell me about it." Valeria chuckled.

"I'll see you at home, Athena. Bye Valeria."

"Bye!"

"Bye Kaleb." I sighed.

Kaleb walked out of the door and huffed while looking around the conference room.

"No."

"What?" I questioned.

"You're thinking about how you're going to get Kaleb and Lotus to make up. I'm telling you now, no." Valeria said.

"They need to get along, Val. I consider both of them my best friends, you too. I can't have them arguing." I huffed.

"I'm flattered." Val smiled. "But heartbreak is hard. You can't force Lotus to put aside his hurt."

"You're right."

"Speaking of. Any progress with Tobias? Still stuck in the friend stage?"

"I don't know." I shook my head. "I think I came on too strong with my feelings. I mean when he was in Chicago, we talked on the phone every night. Now-"

I stopped while fixing the food on the table.

"He's just so busy with work, which I understand. Him going to Chicago put him behind with IAS winery, but I barely see him."

"Him and his work." Valeria shook her head. "His father."

"I always hear about his father and how he's impacted him, but I never get the full story."

"His father is seriously crazy. He made Tobias get up at five in the morning, every day to work out. Never let him celebrate birthdays. He never let him hang with friends or have a normal kid life. It's always work for him."

"He still works out a five in the morning," I said. "But why not Brooks?"

"You don't know?"

"No."

"Brooks fell out with his father. It was bad. He moved to London just to get away. Since Tobias is his only son, to him he is, he puts all the pressure on him."

"Wow." I shook my head. "But why? It's just his marketing company and record label."

"I think that there's something deeper than that. I don't know." Valeria shrugged.

"Investors are here." Lotus walked in.

"Thank you." I sighed. "Can we finish this conversation later?"