SEVEN

"An engagement ball sounds splendid." I teased while grabbing a glass of sparkling wine and sitting on the counter. "What's up with our families and balls?"

"They just want to make a big spectacle out of things. I can only imagine how the wedding will be like." Tobias shook his head.

"Lions and tigers and pigs that can fly."

"My mom can get that arranged."

"I can hear her now. Oh, Tobi! We could get the tigers to dance."

"That scares me."

"I get scared when someone calls out my full name. I mean instantly, I think my father is near to lecture me and I'll straighten up. Kels use it when I'm not sober."

We both laughed. Tobias reached in the fridge to grab orange juice. He topped both of our glasses and placed the orange juice back in the fridge.

"Wow, this wine is great." I took a sip.

"Thank you. Hey, its, eight o'clock."

"Oh shit, thanks." I hopped down from the counter. "I'll see you later on at the rehearsal?"

He nodded. I grabbed my purse and hurried outside the penthouse. Anders opened the door for me and I hopped in. Within twenty minutes, I was settled in my office. I rolled my eyes at the bouquet of roses and picked the notecard away from it.

I use to dance the night away, that's why balls were my favorite. Make sure you pick out the right shoes, it would be a shame for you to hurt yourself...my greek goddess.

Was this a threat? The notes were sweet, but this was the first of it being condescending. I ripped it up and tossed it into the bin. Lotus walked in and sat on the couch.

"Conference meeting."

"Don't remind me. Just another meeting where everyone ridicules me and calls me dumb."

"Athena. Might I remind you that this is your company. Your dad gave it to you, you call the shots and everything. Don't let them run over you just because they've been here." Lotus stood up. "Out with the old, in with the new remember?"

"Right." I nodded. "Lotus, remind me to never fire you."

"I wouldn't leave even if you tried."

I smiled and grabbed my things before walking to the conference room. I furrowed my eyebrows while watching her line up her designs on the board.

"I'm a bit early, sorry about that." Lauren smiled.

"What are you doing here?"

"We all decided to call her in to pitch out a few designs."

"I wasn't made aware of this, nor did I approve of this."

"This is how we've always done it. We've managed without a CEO for two years." Amanda shrugged.

"Well, now you have one. You're all fired, thank you for coming in Lauren, but you are not needed." I smiled while grabbing my designs. "Lotus let's go back to my office. I need to find new staff."

"You can't fire us. Some of us have been here for more than ten years. We are the spine of this company."

"You're the spine that's been failing to help this company walk straight. You guys will get paid for six months, enough time to find a job." I shrugged. "Out with the old, in with the new."

~

"You fired the whole staff?" Tobias chuckled while grabbing my hand. He snaked his arm around my waist and positioned his feet.