Chapter 6 - He's Mintal (get it mental but his name is Min so he's mintal lmao)

Start from the beginning

That day, I didn't have him. On our way down to the cafeteria, Alaric grabbed my elbow and when I was about to question it, I saw Min from the corner of my eye glaring at us. I looked over at him, his endless pools reminding me of what he said.

I looked ahead and walked down the stairs. "I knew it." laughed Alaric, "This guy probably doesn't think he's so transparent." Still, Alaric wouldn't tell me what was up, "Dude. It's like you're mentioning this just for me to question it. Like if you don't want me to comment on it, then stop mentioning it."

Alaric laughed and looked down at me. The bastard's clearly amused with my irritation, but I wasn't having it with him. "Damn, I'm hungry." I muttered when I felt my stomach growl. We stared at the long line of students, watching as some played with their IDs. "Yeah, the line's pretty long. Wanna skip it?" I shrugged and we both skipped, earning glares from the non-seniors.

--

For the next two months, Min never said a word directly to me. If my kicking was a little off, he would only make an announcement to the class on how to fix it. I proved this theory by purposely messing up, and each time he would make an announcement.

"Hey, what college are you thinking of going to?" I asked Alaric. He shrugged as he worked on his Common App, "Any that will accept me, and before you ask, I don't know what I'm majoring in."

I nodded and looked back at my screen. I entered some SUNYs and a couple of colleges outside of NY. "I'm hoping I get accepted outside of NY, like I'm tired of it." Alaric's fingers froze and he stared up at me. "I think it's more than that. You're not slick, Len."

I wanted to ignore him after he said that, but he has no idea of the relationship my mom and I have. Yes, I love her dearly, but the verbal abuse I've grown up with will only stop once I'm out of this house. "You're right." I said slowly, "But I really am tired of NY. I want to travel, and not go only to Jamaica."

He nodded and I looked at his screen, "Oh, you want to go to UBuff as well?" I asked. He smirked, "Of course. I need to be around my people." I rolled my eyes and punched his arm. "You need more diversity in your life." Ignoring my comment, he asked me why I want to go. "Remember Zen?"

Alaric's face held confusion until he let out a soft 'oh', "The senior from last year?" I nodded, "She goes there and told me they have a Taekwondo team." Suddenly, the usual smile on his face was replaced with one of annoyance, "Seriously? Do you like Taekwondo that much? Why even go to a college for that reason, UBuff has so much and you're only going for a team?!"

Shocked at his outburst, I instantly became angry. "Well excuse me, it's not like I'm going there just because there are a lot of Asians, am I now?!" I hissed, His eyes widened, he knew what he just started, "You wanna fucking go, let's go, because I'm not in the mood for you to do this bipolar shit, Alaric."

His silence made me turn away from him, save my Common App and walk out. When I walked down the hallway, fast footsteps behind made me inwardly sigh because it was Alaric. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm really sorry. I didn't mean what I said, it's just that... It's just..."

"It's just what?!" I asked. Ms. Lina, my sophomore year Geometry teacher, came out of her room and told us to shut up. I rolled my eyes at her and watched as she slammed the door, then glared at us from the door window.

I've always had the urge to beat the shit out of her.

"The fact that you only want to go to a college because of Taekwondo is just... It's not that good, you know?" As soon as I opened my mouth, another voice cut me off.

"There is nothing wrong with going to college for Taekwondo, Alaric." The savages in my stomach began to flutter as I felt my face get hot. I didn't even hear his footsteps, and I can only assume he walked out of a classroom after hearing us, "Many people go to certain colleges for basketball, baseball, tennis, et cetera. Keep in mind Taekwondo is a sport as well. If... Len wants to go to college for that reason, then there is no reason to oppose. Unless you have something against Taekwondo?"

I looked over at Min and wiped my palms on my pants. Alaric opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. "I assume you have nothing to say. When you do, let me know." Min turned to me and I looked away. I jumped when I felt his hand grip my shoulder. He softly squeezed it in reassurance, yet that gesture meant so much more to me.

It means that he's here for me. It could be his way of apologizing, and reassuring me that there is no boundaries between us. I wanted to hug him, but it would be out of place. I noticed goosebumps on my arms and looked up at Min. For the first time in over two months, I smiled at him.

I saw the shock in his dark pools and the corner of his lips twitch. Before they could pull, he turned away. My shoulder felt cold as he walked away. I stared at his back, only wishing he could turn around and let me see him smile.

"I'm going downstairs." I told Alaric, even though I was still looking at Min's back. Before he could say anything, I left.

I headed to the staircase and found the squad chilling on the fourth floor. Kat looked up at me, her intense blue-grey eyes scanning me. "Alright, be right back guys." You can't hide anything from this bum. I told everyone I was still working on my Common App and promised to hang once I was finished. Satisfied with their responses, Kat and I ascended two flights.

"Kat. I don't know what's going on anymore." I muttered as I played with my sweater's string. "Min? Did you guys talk?"

I looked at her and explained what happened. "Okay, so it seems like you're making some progress, Len! I've also noticed some stuff in Taekwondo. Min tends to stare at you and Alaric. Don't get me wrong, but I honestly think he has something for you."

"Alaric?" I asked. "Both him and Min." I froze. That can't be, who would like me? I'm a high school senior and never had a boyfriend yet, I've never had my first kiss, I'm as virgin as olive oil. My looks are just average, never has anyone in high school seen me that way. So why is it that Kat can see this, but not me?

"Don't worry, Len. Your looks are average, but you have a really good personality. That makes you seem more attractive, and then you have a great pear shape. And don't give me that look. You don't look your weight." I didn't want to challenge her, so I didn't press on. "I never thought I would be in a situation like this."

Kat smirked at me, "I know, girl. You always complained about old guys hitting on you. Now you got two pretty good looking guys hitting on you. Get 'em!" I sighed, "How do you know Min likes me? I think... I mean, Alaric acts like that with everyone."

"He does and doesn't. He only touches your hair, he transferred into Taekwondo to be with you, he makes funny faces at you in class, he buys you breakfast. How could he not like you?"

I didn't say anything. Her mischievous eyes glinted as she continued, "It's obvious Min is the jealous type. Once he sees you around Alaric, he becomes extremely aggressive. He pretends to have a cold personality, so it could be his cover up. You told me when you were with Min one time, Alaric caught up with you guys and offered to buy breakfast. You said Min got defensive and pretty much shut down Alaric. Then when you were mad at him, he ended up buying you breakfast and stuffing it in your bag. He kept you after class to ask you what you think of him as a teacher. He's simply... Mintal."

Damn you, Katharina. Her sly grin didn't ease, instead she continued, "He opened up to you about family. People don't really do that, and when he did, he was happy; he smiled. You said once he realized it, his cold demeanor returned. Now tell me, why wouldn't you be suspicious of his feelings toward you?"

I stared at her in shock. She only responded by laughing. It shocked me how logical her explanation was. "Men are easy to read, you just have to find the right genre. To add, I believe Alaric knows, which is why he would randomly grab you or play with your hair. It's because Min is watching and he wants to make him jealous."

What?! The sound of students coming up the stairwell told us the period was over. She tied her blonde hair into a ponytail and waited for me to put my things in my bag. "How to approach him?" Kat laughed, "You don't."