10. Sweet Buns

All Zhao Yunlan could see was that fluffy bun in Shen Wei's hand. It was round, it looked fluffy and soft. Zhao Yunlan pressed his lips together, a yearning smile etched on his adorable face, his fingers excitedly grasped onto the hem of his baggy t-shirt.

On the other hand, Shen Wei just looked confused, "How... how do you know Ye Zun?"

But instead of answering him, Zhao Yunlan plucked a tiny piece from the bun and quickly put it in his mouth. And his eyes now shone brighter as his lips pursed with the tiny piece melting in his mouth.

"Aye!" Shen Wei quickly retracted his hand holding the bun. He was more than just confused now, he felt offended, betrayed. With a slacked jaw, he looked at his bun and then, at the person enjoying his bun... his goddamn bun!

He was about to confront this stranger when Yunlan again plucked a piece from Shen Wei's bun and this time, he managed to get a bigger piece.

"Aye!" Shen Wei shouted, "What the hell do you think you are doing? I paid for it with my money... My money!"

Yunlan nibbled on the chunk of fluffy goodness, smiling into the savoury treat, ignoring the angry carnival man.

Shen Wei felt ridiculed. So, this is what it has come down to. Beggars are now snatching food?! Shen Wei gritted his teeth and turned around, ignoring the presence now. He was now cursing the bus for not being on time. It was because of the stupid bus he had his bun snatched by a street bum.

The person was still standing close, shamelessly eating the bun, Shen Wei could sense it but he did not turn to acknowledge it. Suddenly, a palm appeared in front of him, with a few coins on it.

"Coins.... Coins for the subway," Yunlan timidly spoke.

Shen Wei was now, for real, shocked. He turned to find the stranger looking down at his shoes and scratching one ear with another hand. Shen Wei looked at the open palm, where sat a few coins and then at the person who still avoided looking up at him.

And that's when Shen Wei scrutinised the guy top to toe. Messy hair, dirty clothes but again, looked pricey, the shoes were definitely costly, a watch that did not seem to be working. And what shocked Shen Wei was a diamond ring on one of his fingers.

Shen Wei raised an eyebrow. This was not some street bum. He hesitantly took the coins and could see a smile on this person's lips. Shen Wei smiled too. He could recognise it now, the difference. He also realised that the name of Ye Zun was just a random ramble of the person.

Zhao Yunlan felt his palm going lighter, he retracted his hand, wiggling the fingers in the discomfort of the lost weight from his palm. He bit his bottom lip, scratched his head, and looked around. He did not know what to do anymore. He was still trying to decide his next course of action when a brown paper bag was forwarded in front of him.

He quickly looked at Shen Wei, then quickly removed his gaze. Zhao Yunlan was now nervous and started fidgeting at his spot.

"You can have them," Shen Wei gently spoke with a smile, "There are two in it."

The fidgeting stopped. Zhao Yunlan pressed his lips in a thin line and hesitantly took the bag.

"Is anyone with you?" Shen Wei looked around and by the time, he got his attention back to the person, he had started walking away.

He thought of calling after but even with his small penguin steps, Zhao Yunlan had walked far away. Shen Wei just watched the back. How could someone leave him all by himself, he wondered. He looked down at the coins in his hand. Subconsciously, Shen Wei was worried for the person.

* * * * * * *

Ye Zun laid on his bed, sad, desolate. He really liked Yunlan and now he was gone. He wanted to cry too but he couldn't. All he could manage was a sad sigh with his eyes emptily staring at the ceiling above.

He turned on his side and closed his eyes. It was late in the afternoon but all Ye Zun wanted to do was sleep and move on. That's when he heard something...

A gasp left him the moment he turned around. Zhao Yunlan was climbing back from the window with a brown packet hanging from his mouth.

The squirrel was back and Ye Zun's eyes shone bright, his lips curved in the biggest smile.

"Where were you?" Ye Zun quickly got off the bed.

Zhao Yunlan obliviously dusted his pants as if he was not dirt-covered from head to toe, ignoring a rageful Ye Zun.

One thing that Ye Zun lacked was patience. He wanted to shout at Zhao Yunlan but wanted to avoid it as well. He pressed his lips in a thin line, fuming with anger.

Zhao Yunlan checked the bag in his hand and smiled at his sweet buns.

"I asked where were you!" Ye Zun finally shouted.

Zhao Yunlan frowned not at the buns but the tone of the voice used on him. His lips pursed, brows furrowed but never once did he make eye contact with Ye Zun.

"I have been waiting for you like fools!" Ye Zun shouted again.

This time Zhao Yunlan flinched. He started getting nervous. He did not look up at Ye Zun, just backed, hiding his bag of buns behind his back. He angrily pursed his lips as he looked at an empty spot, away from Ye Zun's face.

"Do not shout at him. Please."

The sudden appearance of the voice startled Ye Zun. He looked at the open window, his eyes widened when a person appeared there. He quickly pulled Zhao Yunlan by his wrist and hid him behind. He had decided to attack the burglar with whatever he could and save Yunlan and himself.

The person smiled to see a small kid trying to shield a guy as tall as Zhao Yunlan. It gave him a sense of relief.

"Jiu-ge," Zhao Yunlan smiled the widest.

Ye Zun frowned.