Chapter Ten

"I'm still confused about why Grandpa the Kid just doesn't retire from being a cattle driver."said Emilie as she sat on her egg while watching 'Grandpa the Kid' with Gladstone.
"Because his son's the town's doctor."explained Gladstone.
"So why can't his doctor son keep care of his grandchildren?"
"Because he's too busy."
"What about the kids' parents?Why don't we ever hear from them?Or see them?Or anything?"
"You know,I'm not exactly sure.You would think that Grandpa the Kid would hear from his other son, and his daughter-in-law."said Gladstone in confusion.
Emilie removed the egg from the nest that she made in the ninth month of her pregnancy.
"So,you ready to hatch yet?"Emilie asked the egg.
Naturally,the egg didn't say anything.But it did start to crack.
"Well,that's convenient."said Emilie when she saw the egg start to crack.Then Emilie began to realize what was going on.
"Gladstone!The egg's hatching!" yelled Emilie causing Gladstone to jump.
"Okay!Okay!"said Gladstone as though Emilie had told him twice.

-

Much like when Emilie went into labor,Gladstone waited in the maternity waiting room.Something he found unfair as,according to the nurse,it should take 10 to 20 minutes for the egg to hatch.
Gladstone wondered if the baby was going to be a boy,or a girl.He never gave it any thought until now.In fact,all Gladstone thought about was how much fun the two of them will have,even though Emilie told him there was more to being a parent than having fun with your child.But now that Gladstone was thinking about more, and more, he realized that Emilie was right.
Perhaps Gladstone always knew, but just wanted to focus on the funnier things.After all,it was hard to ignore the things that he, and Emilie got for the baby.It wasn't just toys, and furniture,it was always bottles,diapers, and all sorts of stuff that Gladstone was just remembering.Suddenly a thought came to Gladstone.
'What if the baby inherits my luck?' thought Gladstone.
His luck was both a blessing, and a curse.It gave him everything he wanted, and until Emilie came along,it also made very lonely.He never really had any problems,but he also didn't have any friends.Gladstone was always certain that Donald,or Fethry would marry before him,provided that he actually found the right woman,something Gladstone thought would never happen.But Donald broke up with Daisy,Fethry had yet had that special person, and him-he was married, and was about to be a father.
'Wow.Life sure is unexpected.' thought Gladstone.
Suddenly the nurse came into the maternity waiting room.
"The egg finished hatching."said the nurse.
"Oh,really?"said Gladstone,getting up to follow her. "Is the baby a boy or a girl?"
"You're about to find out."said the nurse as she opened the door to Emilie's room.The room was closer to the waiting room than the last one that Emilie was in.
Emilie was holding a blanket with a little duckling in it.
"Hi Emilie."said Gladstone before kissing her. "So,do we have a little boy, or a little girl?"
"A little girl."said Emilie,opening the blanket a bit.
The duckling looked a lot like Gladstone,except instead of having curly hair like him,she had wavy.She also had the same eye color as Emilie,whose eyes were gray.Along with having her down feathers.
"Hi little one.Welcome to the world.It's me,your Daddy."said Gladstone smiling at his new daughter.
"What should we name her?"
Gladstone thought.She didn't just look like himself,she looked like his mother,who he inherited his looks from.He didn't want to name his newborn daughter after his mother.It would be too uncomfortable for him.
"What about Claire?"suggested Emilie,interrupting Gladstone's thoughts.
"Claire?"said Gladstone.
"Sure.What's wrong with the name Claire?"
"Nothing.Why don't we give her my mother's name as her middle name?"
"Why not?Claire Daphne Gander."
Gladstone thought for a moment.It was a pretty name, and she was clearly going to be a pretty girl,so she clearly needed a pretty name.
"Sure.Why not?"said Gladstone.
The nurse came back with a clipboard with a piece of paper attached to it.
"So,did you decide on a name yet?"asked the nurse.
"Yes.Claire Daphne Gander."said Emilie.
"Is Claire the first name, and Daphne the middle name?"
"Yes."said Gladstone.
"Okay.Claire Daphne Gander.Born on May 7th 1954 at 4:34 p.m."said the nurse as she wrote what she said down before leaving.
Gladstone, and Emilie didn't notice the nurse leave as they were too busy bonding with Claire.