XVII. WOW FACTOR

XVII.

W O W  F A C T O R

—aka, it's the little things,

EXT— A FIVE STAR HOTEL.

PARIS, FRANCE — MORNING.

SCENE I.

HOW DO YOU dress to meet a family member, especially an undeniably strong woman who your pseudo man trusts? Said pseudo man who trusts only a limited amount of people and to certain degrees, like tiers in an expensively tall cake, and knowing that trust meant something, worth a lot more, and painfully rare?

And of course, with no qualms in slicing you off a tier if you become a useless, much less a hindrance.

Paris is classic, a woman, and there's nothing that introduces you better to maybe a serious relationship— as serious as something born from barely a month-long love affair, snort insert here — for the extended family, and getting into the good graces of Asian socialites of the highest pedigree, than the classiest of them all.

And no, not diamonds.

Diamonds can have ill intentions. Diamonds have a history of greed, ill, and even death. They're a precarious move, especially for a first time meet. Diamonds are for the married women, the proposed women. The sure women. If you wear diamonds for this specific moment, being labeled as a gold digger won't be far behind.

"Pearls?"

Archie's eyes narrowed at the string of pearls I had draped across my neck, tensing and giggling at the coldness that touched bare skin.

I met his eyes on the vanity and smiled prettily. Sweetly. "Of course pearls. Pearls make you look innocent. Like a good girl, a classy girl, and a rich bitch all in one. It speaks of quiet fortune, timeless sophistication. It caters especially well to socialites who are traditional."

I went back to looking at myself at the looking glass, re-focusing my attention to every detail of my presentation, and moving as I blinked like every close lid is a snapshot.

Everything had to be perfect, if only to calm the worry of failing.

My hair had been pulled back to a low ponytail, affixed a headband of black velvet. Medium sized pearl earrings made way for the two-looped pearl necklace with the biggest of them all, dead centre and eye catching. Less sparkly and more shiny— which is the important distinction. My make up was minimal, eyeliner kept a thin streak and lipstick neutral and nude.