Chapter 2: I'm Yours

Start from the beginning

He tilted his head and narrowed his gaze. "So are you mad at me now?"

To someone who didn't know him well, the look would have seemed smug or even conceited. To Ali, it was the familiar reaction of a boy she'd known most of her life who'd constantly vied for her attention, and, briefly, for her affection. She sighed, remembering not only their history, but also her aching feet from last night.

"I guess not. You meant well, and Dad's already confessed to being the mastermind so . . .."

Robert laughed, throwing his head back and letting the breeze tousle his hair. "Then how about that ride?"

The East Hampton Equestrian Center just a short drive away. The first order of business was to pick out a horse. Ali balled her fists nervously as soon as she saw the selection, comprised of mostly Belgian Warmbloods and Holsteiners. Although they were no doubt some of the best breeds in her sport, she didn't have experience with any of these particular animals. A glance over their names—Vechta, Selle, Hans, Sienna, and several more unfamiliar ones—confirmed she hadn't ridden any of the current crop before.

"This is going to be a problem," she muttered as Robert walked up to a chestnut mare and began to stroke her nose.

"You're a champion jumper, Ali," he countered, attempting to ease her fears. "Trust the animal. She'll take your lead."

She sighed. Robert was right in theory. But in practice? She wasn't so sure. Ever since she'd started show jumping at a competitive level, she'd always used her own horse. Taking a chance with an unfamiliar animal just to get in a few hours' practice wasn't her style, and this may not have been the best idea.

"I still feel like I'm betraying Lippi." She thought of the four-year-old Westphalian she should have been riding in New Jersey right now.

Robert turned and smiled. "Don't worry. I won't tell."

Ali scoffed, but the smell of the horses and the thumping of hooves reverberating through the floor from the arena were slowly changing her mind. Much like music was for her father, riding was in her blood. The competitive nature of the activity had helped shape her being, and she was sure everything she'd learned from it had helped her achieve success in her career, too. After conferring with the trainer, she eventually settled on a lean chestnut mare named Seneca. By the time she grabbed the riding tack and saddled up the animal, she had pushed aside her hesitation and was fully focused on the task ahead.

The first hour of warm-ups and basic exercises went splendidly. To her surprise, Ali was even enjoying some of the horse's unexpected quirks. Seneca was much more confident than her Lippi, needing less guidance to properly complete a sharp turn and fewer words of encouragement to speed up for a higher obstacle.

Not even bothering with Robert, who was busy polishing his own skills, Ali was relishing every moment. Sweat dripped from her brow down the fine layer of dust on her face, and her thighs against the animal's back ached from the exertion, but she wouldn't have traded this feeling for being back at the family brunch.

She'd even picked up a few pointers from Robert's trainer. Ready to put them into practice, Ali lined up Seneca at the start of the expert-level course and waited for the signal. At the buzz of the automated timer, she snapped the reins and urged the horse into motion.

Slow and steady wouldn't get her a spot at nationals, but neither would fast and reckless. Finding the right balance was key, and as Ali guided the horse around the first turn, she let her instincts take over. The rider was in charge, but the horse had to be willing to obey. The first of the ten obstacles was a simple vertical fence. Seneca's pacing was on point, and she cleared the horizontal pole easily.