CONVERSATION FIRST

Start from the beginning

So you're an entrepreneur?

Callum swiped a hand at the back of his neck before answering, no, I just have a bakery.

Do you work alone?

No, I have a few employees, Callum replied.

What are a few? Maureen was curious about the number of employees because it established his business's strength.

Callum counted in his mind. He wondered whether he should include his apprentice and finally excluded them from his answer; I have eight employees.

That's a lot.

Callum sent a grinning face with a sweat drop emoji. Even he was impressed when he prepared schedules. The man wondered if he should tell Maureen he had been a teacher before, but she beat him to the question.

Is it a family venture? Have you always been in the baking business?

No, it's my personal affair. I used to be a teacher.

Really, why did you retire?

Again Callum was glad the conversation was online. He replied I wanted a change. Perhaps it's a middle-life crisis. I had some savings, so...

Maureen sighed with relief behind her screen. She liked people with constant behaviors. She would have cut the conversation short if the man had answered something along the terms of being fed up. If a man got fed up with a Job representing routine, how was he to stick to the game plan of marriage?

Callum couldn't imagine the bullet he dodged, but his answer wasn't satisfying for Maureen. She needed more answers. A change also announced a form of lassitude.

Why the change? You had a solid income and a lot of vacations.

True, but I wasn't my own boss. I could sit on the hope of a pay rise, and concerning holidays I didn't have much wiggle room, Callum wrote.

The man's replies were valid. Maureen liked the fact Callum became his boss.

How long have you had your business?

I'll be celebrating our 8th year in four months, Callum wrote.

Wow, that's amazing. Bakeries have weak margins between four and nine percent. Most close in the first three years. There are always cash flow issues; most fail to be competitive. It's really fantastic if things are working out for you, Maureen replied.

Great thought, Maureen. A man with the endurance to keep his business running after COVID definitely had merit.

Callum, would you like us to meet?

The man read the sentence three times before replying.

Meet like in real life?

Maureen smiled behind her screen as she imagined Callum's gobsmacked expression.

Yes, you seem like a nice person, Maureen wrote. Of course, the word nice replaced decent. The conversation was dry and basic. Callum wasn't her type psychically. She preferred a man with more body. He seemed lean on the pics, which was better than being a slob. Maureen loved the outdoors and psychically fit people, but Callum seemed sound of mind, which was worth more.

I'll take it as a compliment. By the way, thank you for replying to my message.

Callum was also polite, Maureen noted.

So want to meet?

Yes, sure, Callum replied.

Great.

Maureen gave the indications of the time and location. Even though Callum's input was minor, the man felt a form of relief.

How to boost one's confidence, Callum couldn't believe he got a date, and it was just the beginning.

Adele, the hairdresser, also offered a dating opportunity. The conversation with her was a ping pong game where the woman replied by returning a question before releasing an I don't know what to do tomorrow night. Are you free?

It was as easy as that; Callum found himself with two invitations without much effort.

The man was surprised to see how undertaking the women were. The other thing that differed from other apps was the impossibility of scrolling. Callum only had access to the suggested profile and had to consider paying if he wanted more.

He was stuck with his profiles until either party negatively answered a questionnaire. Thus, Callum waited to see what the dates had in store.