CONVERSATION FIRST

Callum didn't think he would enjoy speaking to women online, but the ones he had spoken to so far were all rather interesting. The app understood he wasn't picky about his matches' psychical traits. Blonde, brown, or red-haired, Callum was open to anything just as much as he was about their ethnicity, weight, or height.

Some would say he was tasteless.

How could someone not have preferences?

For the idealist man, what mattered was the qualities residing within, as cliché as it could sound.

Maureen was Asian, and it was the first time Callum exchanged with one. Asian women were mysterious, and the man would have never approached one in real life. He didn't know enough about them to flirt with them. Yes, they were like all women, sensitive to manners and delicate intentions. Still, Callum figured one had to have a minimum knowledge of their culture to seduce an Asian woman efficiently. Oppo made things easier. The app matched them, and Callum felt more comfortable behind his screen. She replied to his message twenty minutes after he had sent it. The man was losing hope when he received a Hi from Maureen.

Hi, I'm Callum.

I know; nice to meet you, Maureen replied.

Sorry, I'm new here, Callum wrote back.

It feels like walking into a party without knowing who will be there, right?

Exactly, Callum replied.

Maureen sent a laughing emoji that made Callum smile behind his screen. The woman couldn't guess how comforting the emoticon was for the anxious baker.

The questionnaire was endless.

Yes, the questions are surprising, though. Maureen wrote I was so shocked at the question that asked on which side of the bed I prefer to sleep.

Me too, Callum wrote, relieved to note he wasn't the only person who found some questions intrusive. I don't know why, but I keep imagining there's a team decrypting our answers when I know full well it's some metrics or AI.

I know what you mean, Maureen replied.

Seconds passed, Maureen pondered on how to drive the conversation, and Callum mentally hyped himself to write something.

I thought the questionnaire was a waste of time at first, but now when I see my matches, I'm glad to have done it, Callum replied.

Why? Maureen sent.

Because most are the type of people I'd fancy, but I wouldn't have the guts to approach them in life. I didn't believe the algorithm would pick people that would appeal to me, but I have yet to live a deception.

Callum was frank. He didn't see or feel the need to be otherwise. The screen filtered the sweaty palms and unreadable facial expressions that left one guessing.

Maureen sent a laughing emoji and wrote I'm only the fourth person you've talked to here. There might be prettier and more exciting women on this app.

Callum thought of it. It had been so long since he had a casual conversation with a woman about something other than croissants, bread, and carrot cakes. There were thousands of women, but the man knew not all would pursue discussions. He was happy with the ones who agreed to speak to him. There, he watched the clock; the minutes passed, and Maureen hadn't attempted to bail out.

So you're a baker? Maureen asked. The warm-up time was over. She needed to have more tangible information.

Yes, I have my business.