Episode 1 : The Story Of Satoshi Uematsu

DISCLAIMER : If you're under the age of 13, or if you're sensitive to scary stuff, violence, and murder, I suggest you don't read this for your own safety. Also, credit goes to Wikipedia and The YouTube Channel, Horror Stories for the information. Now enjoy.

On this day, 6 years ago, at 2:30 AM on the morning of July 26th 2016, a horrific stabbing spree took place at a care home for disabled people in Midori Ward in Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan taking the lives of 19 people, and injuring twenty six more. The scene was so horrific that night, it would become one of the worst crimes in Japan's history, and one of the worst crimes in the 2010's...

On this day, 26 years ago, at 2:30 AM on the morning of July 26th 2016, Satoshi Uematsu, a 26 year old man who was born on January 20th 1990, drove to a care home that housed many disabled people in Midori Ward in Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan carrying a bag full of knives. Unfortunately, no one was prepared for the nightmare that would come that morning that would shock the entire country...

Uematsu smashed a window with one of his knives to enter the building. Uematsu then unleashed all of his havoc in the facility, stabbing everyone he laid eyes on. He went from room to room, viciously stabbing and slitting as many helpless people's throats as he could. Uematsu killed a total of 19 people, and injured another 26 others. It was a terrifying nightmare that no one could escape from.

The stabbing spree lasted for 19 minutes before Uematsu walked out of the building and drove to the police station to turn himself in 2 hours later. Uematsu was quickly arrested and taken into the police's custody as everyone was horrified when they discovered what he did that terrifying morning.

It was later found out that Uematsu was actually a former employee at the mental health facility a few months before his stabbing spree, but he was fired from his job as an employee there because he was against mentally disabled people, saying they should be euthanized.

Police also became concerned about Uematsu as he was seen sitting outside one of Japan's parliament members' houses because he wanted to give a letter to the home.

The letter Uematsu wrote was a disturbing rant against mentally disabled people, as he talked about euthanizing them and killing 470 of them at two different facilities, before he would turn himself into the police. In the letter, he wrote : "I envision a world where a person with multiple disabilities can be euthanized with an agreement from the guardians, when it is difficult for the person to carry out household and social activities.". He also wrote that the killings of disabled people would be for the sake of Japan and world peace as well as benefiting the global economy and preventing World War III. Uematsu also posted to his Twitter account that he expected he might be arrested and Japan was being ravaged by radiation poisoning and AIDS.

The police told their concerns about Uematsu to the other staff members at the facility. The other employees confronted and fired Uematsu and sent him to a psychiatric hospital where he was diagnosed with mental conditions that could be harmful to others around him, but after spending 9 days in the hospital, the hospital's doctors agreed he wasn't a threat to the public and released him back to his home. This tiny mistake made by the hospital's doctors were the final stepping stones to one of the most horrific mass murders in Japan's history.

Uematsu's trial was schedueled to be in 2017, however, on February 20th 2017, he was found mentally competent to stand trial due to him being under the effects of marjuana, so it was post poned. 2 years later on February 24th 2019, Uematsu was charged with 19 counts of murder, 24 counts of attempted murder, two counts of illegal confinement causing injury, three counts of illegal confinement, one count of unlawful entry, and one count of violating The Firearm And Sword Possession Control Law. 10 months later on December 23rd 2019, Uematsu said he would admit to the crime during the trial, saying that denying the charges against him "Would be quibbling and make the trial too complex.".

2 weeks later on January 8th 2020, Uematsu pleaded not guilty to the stabbings. One month later on February 17th 2020, prosecutors announced that the death penalty was officially sought against Uematsu saying the rampage was "Inhumane" And it left "No room for leniency.".

Less than one month later on March 16th 2020, Uematsu was sentenced to death by hanging by The Yokohama District Court, having previously said he would not challenge any verdict or sentence. Two weeks later, on March 30th 2020, Uematsu's death sentence was finalized as he withdrew an automatic appeal to the upper courts. Two years later however, in April of 2022, Uematsu appealed for a retrial petition for his case, and the petition is currently pending in the courts.

Satoshi Uematsu is still waiting on death row to this day, but maybe he will have one last chance to spare his life from execution, but the courts are still deciding if he deserves it or not.

To this day, 6 years later, The Sagamihara Stabbings remain as not just one of the worst crimes in Japan's history, but one of the worst crimes of the 2010's, and it serves as a lesson that a horrific stabbing spree could happen at any time at any place no matter what...

The end...