dawson mercer - devils

why have i literally been obsessed with writing about the devils lately-

"dawson! oh my god i missed you." i hugged dawson, he had come back to carbonear newfoundland, his hometown, after the nhl season was completed.

"hey y/n! i missed you so much." dawson whispered into my neck. i picked dawson up from the airport, i was more than happy to pick him up.

we have been childhood best friends for as long as i can remember. we were practically attached at the hip for 21 years.

i was so proud of daws when he was drafted by the devils and went to new jersey to play for the devils but i was sad he was leaving.

we facetimed after every game. every game. i was taking screenshots of dawson and i calling facetiming after every game because those calls meant so much to me. he doesn't know so that's the best part.

i had made a photo album on my phone and i had planned to show him all of them. i put the dates and games on them so he could see them progress.

"we should go back home, my parents have been excited to see you since they found out you were coming back." he nodded and we went to baggage claim.

my parents love dawson, they think he's the best. because he's at our house all the time, they treat him like a son.

we walked out of the airport and got in my car that daws insisted on driving because, 'you're probably tired from waiting for me so i'll drive you home.'

i played some 2000s party hits on spotify and we sung along to all the songs. 'bang bang' by jessie j came on and dawson started singing, word for word.

i videotaped him singing, he looked at the camera and started acting like he was in a music video. i bursted out laughing.

"look at the road daws." no way am i letting him get in a car accident because he was singing jessie j.

"oh shit, yeah." he quickly put both hands in the wheel and continued driving. i grabbed my phone to text my mom.

me
hey mom!
picked up dawson and we should be back soon.

mom
lovely! can't wait to see him!

dawson pulled onto his street and into his driveway where some of his friends and family were waiting for him inside the house.

"excited?" i asked as we got his bags out of the trunk of the car.

"i'm super excited." he said, beaming. he hadn't seen some of these people for a few years.

"let's go see everyone!" i put down the trunk door and speed walked to the front door.

i opened the door and dawson walked through the door, his family cheered and his mom ran over to hug him.

i closed the door, grabbed the rest of his bags and put them next to the door.

"thank you for picking him up y/n." his mother thanked.

"it's no problem." i shrugged. his mom was a second mom to me like my mom was to him.

dawson had his moment with everyone while i talked with my family. daws made his way over to us and he hugged my parents.

he thanked them for helping him through his hockey career, even though the least they would do was drive him to hockey practice it his parents couldn't.

everyone was in the dining room for dinner and i went to join but daws pulled me into a hug before i could.

"thank you for always believing in me during my hockey career, it really, really helped me. you're the best." he whispered, lovingly.

"of course, daws. i mean, you're the best hockey player i've ever seen so it's easy to believe in you." i giggled. he smiled big and we went to go eat dinner.

timeskip

we sat down in dawson's bed and we started watching one of our all time favourites, camp rock.

we've watched it so many times that we can voice lines now. daws is always embarrassed it admit that he loves this series.

he turned the movie off when we decided to go to bed. i laid awake for a while before dawson spoke.

"you're probably asleep, but i just wanted to tell you that i love you. i have for a while. like since grade 11. you mean so much to me. you always have. goodnight y/n. love you." he kissed my head and laid back down as we cuddled.

i looked at him, "i love you too."

his eyes widened. he definitely thought i was asleep. "wait- you heard that?"

"every word."

"well, it's true. i love you."

"i love you." i kissed him.

a/n:
we stan dawson mercer and his gorgeous hair
i'm now the biggest dawson mercer simp after writing this hehehe