Chapter 10

Between the Horizon

You need Power, only when you want to do something harmful otherwise Love is enough to get everything done. -Charlie chaplin.

Ender run to the entrance of the pond with the Formics, he step out of his shoes. "Go get the queen." The queen is floating at the pond while Afina is nowhere to be seen.

What are you going to do Ender? The Formics' voices echoed in his ears, low and high pitches of sound. Because their minds are connected, their questions are as one also. "I'm going to go get Afina." He take off his shirt and dive to the pond.

It wasn't hard to find Afina because the water is glowing, Afina is drifting in the water that made her look like a goddess swimming in clusters of stars. Her eyes are closed, Ender reach the curves of her waist and pulled her to him. Ender supported her body by pushing her to his, he can feel her heartbeat. Her eyes fluttered open, two gray eyes are looking at him. She didn't fight him or do anything at the particular, her eyes are sad that she looks like she's crying if it weren't for the water.

When they reach the surface, Afina swam away from Ender and crawled to land. She sat there away from the Formics, the Formics are holding the queen. Ender doesn't know much about Afina but it has something to do with her father, Feeble went to him when Afina reached the tribe. He was waiting for Afina at the entrance but unfortunately she used another way in. He walk to him feeling sorry even though he didn't do anything. "Afina."

"Why?" Her tears flowing down her cheeks. "Why did you save me?" She croak. "I almost killed the queen." Ender stared at her, long enough to really see her.

"Every sin can be paid. I'm still hunted of the memory of my past but as long as I know I'm doing the right thing I can feel happy."

Afina bit her lip and tried to restrain herself from crying but it turned into loud whispers. "I'm horrible, I'm a horrible person, I can't even smile."

Ender offered his hand. "You can always start over, I'll be with you along the away. Now can you take my hand without headbutting me like before, you almost knocked me out that time." Ender smiled.

Afina stare at Ender's eyes, she place her hand on his hand and he help her up. "Look at that you are already smiling."

Unknowingly she is. Afina took a step but her legs shook that she almost fell but Ender caught her, unfortunately Ender is too weak to move also. So Afina is on top of Ender. "Its the pond, it takes away a person's strength." Ender explained, he reach for his pocket and pull out a kinap berry. He chew it and sip the juice. Afina is shaking vigorously above him, he only has one kinap berry and its pain relieving is only temporary. He sat up supporting Afina's back, he took her legs and carried her.

If a boy says that carrying a girl same as height as him is very easy well that is a big fat lie. Sure Afina is not fat, she's actually very fit and a bit muscular but she is not light. Take her to the creek. Ender smiled at the Formics.

"I will." He walk off carrying Afina. Her hair smells like jasmine well it makes sense because her hair is sprouting white, small jasmine flowers. They reach the creek, Ender step in the water. The water reach Ender's waist. "Afina." She open her eyes.

"Hold your breath." Ender command. Afina nod her head and Ender dip her slowly in the water. The baby blue glitters are starting to wash off her skin. Ender carried her higher to get her out of the water. Afina squeeze his shoulder. "I think I can wash myself now." Afina asures. Ender carefully put her down and rinse himself. He was washing his hair which grew a little when he heard her sniff.

He looks at her, her back is on him. She looked up then looks at Ender, she forces a smile but a tear escaped her eye. What is a good way to hush a girl?, Ender thought to himself. A hug maybe? Valentine always hugs me when I feel down but it's inappropriate right now especially I'm shirtless. Ender goes with his second option, straight to the point questioning.