"Should I write this down?" I thought out loud.

"No need," she said. "It's pretty simple."

"The next issue we have is," she resumed, "your walking step, Ellie."

"My walking step?" I frowned. "What the heck is wrong with it?"

"You don't slouch, no, but the way you walk does need a little bit of improvement. Try swaying your hips while walking, just for added effect."

"Noted, I guess," I shrugged.

"The third is makeup," Karen said. "Make your face a little brighter. Put on lipstick, and mascara, conceal your eye bags, maybe try lashes, just do what suits you."

"Lashes?" I scoffed. "Karen, I'm in high school, remember?"

"Oh!" She slapped her forehead. "Sorry, I got too carried away. Either way, put on some makeup, even though it's light, just something to bring out the color in your eyes."

"Now the fourth and the final one, drumroll please, confidence!" Karen exclaimed.

"Confidence?" I asked.

"Uh-huh," she nodded, her mass of dyed blonde curls bobbing with movement. "Confidence is essential. Not the 'oh I can do everything by myself alone because I'm the bestest best', but the 'I can stand up for myself because I deserve better' kind. Boys love when girls are confident in themselves. I mean, there are moments being shy is allowed, of course, like when you're about to share your first kiss or your first time, blah blah blah, but confidence is sexy and guys love sexy."

"So, of all these, which ranks the most important?" I asked. "Confidence?"

"It would've, but I think dressing does. How you dress speaks a lot about you, you do know that, right?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Good. Now since I'm going to be at home for at least two more weeks, I'm going to groom you until you can stand on your own two feet," Karen said.

"Aww!" I placed a hand on my chest with my puppy eyes out. "You'd do that for me?"

"Uh, duh," She chuckled. "Why not?"

"You're the best!" I grinned, standing up from the bed and giving her a tight hug.

"Of course, I know that," She laughed. "But before we get too carried away, I do have to tell you something."

"What is it?" I stepped back from her with a concerned look.

"I know what you're feeling right now," she began, sitting on her bed. "The rush, the elation that you've finally met your dream guy. I can relate to it because I experienced it, while I was in high school too."

"My point is, you have to be careful, Ellie. You really have to guard your heart. Forget all I just told you, if you feel even the tiniest bit of discomfort, you have to stop. If you feel you're forcing yourself to love these things then you have to let go of KJ. Really. You'll eventually find a guy who loves you just the way you are anyway."

"Oh," I muttered. "Is there something you're not telling me?"

She sighed. "When I was a junior, I thought I'd met the absolute love of my life. Just like you. And I did things I never thought I would. Stepping out of my safe space just for him would do anything he asked. Until I realized I was just fooling myself and I was just another girl to him."

"I don't want you to go through the heartbreak and depression I went through, Elena. That's why I need you to be careful. Don't let anyone deceive you into doing what their narcissistic selves want. Always be ready to realize the difference between love and just physical attraction."