TWENTY EIGHT.

She hadn't heard from Damien,and it was slowly killing her.

She didn't know one could get this attached.

Amelia told her earlier that Damien might show up,but Mel wasn't too sure about that anymore because it was 11pm.

She noticed a familiar figure open her unlocked window.
Damien jumped in and just laid on the floor of her room.

At first,she didn't recognize him because he looked disoriented. His shirt was barely buttoned,his hair was standing in different directions and his eyes were not the usual lively hazel ones she loved to look into.
His eyes looked dull,and they had eye bags under them.

He looked like he needed a lot of things...like a hug,some sleep,a warm and relaxing shower and a kiss.

"I'm sorry I haven't checked on you in days" he said,not looking at her. His eyes staring at the floor.

Mel sighed.
"Don't apologize for that," she said. "What's wrong?"

He shook his head and continued his staring contest with the floor.
"I don't know where to start from ," he said.

"Oh"

"But I'll start from somewhere" she saw a sad smile appear on his face. And immediately,the smile fell,his whole expression turning to one that frightened her. He looked broken.

Mel nodded as he slowly sat up. He rested his back on the wall,and sighed.

"My grandfather passed away," he said and his voice slowly broke. Mel opened her mouth to speak,but he continued. "The morning I left here.. you remember? I slept here,and when I got home the next morning,... I just-" he stopped as he let out a very heavy breath. He looked like he could pass out.

"I'm so sorry,Damien," Mel whispered as she wheeled closer to him. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

He shook his head slowly.
"I really don't wanna stress you out"

"You're not stressing me out," Mel said. "Do you want a hug? Or a kiss?"

"The latter could really help right now"

Mel smiled as he got up. He wrapped his arms around her slim waist and rested his head on her shoulder before slowly moving his lips to hers.

He kissed her, pouring all the emotions he felt, but couldn't dare define into the kiss. He was shivering, afraid she'd go to.. just like everyone in his life was doing. It felt like leaving was the new trend.

"Are you cold?" She asked, still guarded with his arms.

He shook his head,and before she could say any other thing,he continued to kiss her,his grip around her waist became firmer,and although the kiss didn't erase the agony deep inside him,it soothed a little bit of it.

When they pulled away,he contemplated on whether or not to tell her about the other thing that was threatening his state of mind and sanity.

Mel wasn't someone you could just tell whatever you wanted whenever you wanted. She was someone that needed to be understood.

Actually, everyone needed to be understood.

"Anything else?," She asked and stroked his arm. "It seems like there's something you wanna say"

Damien cleared his throat.
"It's not that easy to just....say" he said as Mel noticed his eyes suddenly become red.

It was as if he had been pushing tears in for days,and they suddenly got mad. His eyes were very red that it frightened Mel because he was not crying so how were his eyes that red?

"I'll understand however you say it"

He looked up at her,and she had a smile on her lips.

Not a happy one,but one that said 'I'm here for you' and when he looked real close,the smile was also saying 'It'll be alright'

"My father is currently hospitalized," he stopped and closed his eyes. He slowly opened them before continuing. "All my life,he has had this addiction with those sticks that light up whenever dry heat is brought near-"

"Cigarettes"

"I'm trying not to say the word,Mel" he stared at her.

She widened her eyes.
"I'm so sorry"

He sighed before going on.
"And he didn't stop there...my father would drink anything he could,and my mother warned him,but he didn't stop.. he told her he stopped until the day I smelt it on him.. honestly,you have no idea how hard it is to take all this in"

"Wow," Mel literally exclaimed. "I'm so sorry,Damien" Mel said as her eyes began to water.

"Hey,hey!.. why are you crying?" He asked, afraid this would happen.

"I'm sorry, it's just so sad.... Why is all this happening to you?"

"Because it's meant to happen to me," he shrugged and let out a sad chuckle. "Now stop crying" He narrowed his eyes for some seconds before wiping her face with the back of his palm.

"Sorry" she said as she wiped all the tears away.

"I couldn't stay at the hospital," he sighed. "I can't even look at my mother... She looks sad,broken,hurt and every other thing one could feel"

"Can I see her?" Mel asked.

"She's not home," Damien sighed. "She's at the hospital, taking care of my dad"

"I can go to the hospital with you"

"No no," he said. "You'll just burst into tears when you see my father"

"Well,when can I see her?"

"She might come home in the morning to rest,and then go back later in the evening"

"So I'll see her tomorrow then" Mel smiled.

Damien nodded as his face fell.
"I'm trying not to get mad at him because he brought this upon himself" he whispered.

Mel nodded.
"But the damage has been done now," she said. "You just have to hope for the best"

"I'm really hoping,Mel.. but it's very hard to stay positive"

"Then I'll help you stay positive"

Damien looked up at her and gave her a kiss.
"I love you so much" he whispered

"I love you" she replied as he continued to kiss her and play with her hair.

He pulled away.
"Thank you for not adding 'too' " he said.

Mel chuckled.
"Saying or adding 'too' will make it seem like I'm agreeing with you," she said and shook her head. "I'm informing you,not agreeing with you"

Damien chuckled.
"Alright,MM," he sighed.

Idk what to think about that chapter,but I know I felt something 😪

Thanks for reading ♥️♥️✨