Chapter 22 Worse Than Expected

Jessie

            Michael came home early. He practically ran into the kitchen where I was making potato soup for lunch. I was still a mad at him for kissing me this morning, but I kept reliving the kiss anyway.

“Jessie!” Michael yelled this as he pounded into the room.

“Yes?” I asked this coolly even though I wanted to feel his lips on mine again.

“Pack your things, we are moving out.” Michael’s face was dead serious and I just laughed. He was kidding right? He didn’t start to laugh with me like in the awkward moments on black and white movies.

“Michael, you can’t be serious. We have only known each other for three weeks. That isn’t enough time to get to know someone enough to move in with them.” I said this trying to rationalize what was going on.

“However, it is enough time to have a baby with them?” Michael eyebrows were furrowed and he sounded mad.

“That’s not what I meant. I’m just not sure if I can spend my life with a man who doesn’t trust me enough to take what I say seriously. You thought I was crazy when I told you about my suspicions of your mother. Then, you ran away when we broke up. Are you always going to run away from a problem? How will that be for our child? ‘Mommy, where is daddy?’ ‘Oh, we got in a fight and he went to great nana’s to think things through.’ “ I pushed a piece of hair out of my face. He was making me mad now, but I still couldn’t help but admire the way his jaw clenched and formed little empresses in the skin or the way he would furrow his brows and shake his head, making his dirty blonde hair shake too.

“You were right. Mom was trying to break us up. I heard her on the phone talking about getting Gabby to come back and break us up.” Michael came a step closer and pulled my hands into his own. “Jessie, I can’t go another day without knowing I can see you. I can’t spend another night restless because you are not there to fill the void in my arms. It was like we were created for each other. You have this way for picking out all of the broccoli from your soups and then putting them on a plate because you hate broccoli. I love it and would eat it when you weren’t looking. We have so many differences that coincide it is almost impossible that we could have met without some type of Gail force wind pushing us together.” He took a deep breath and got down on one knee. I gasped. Was it supposed to happen like this? Instinctively, I put my hand over my mouth in shock like in the movies. Michael pulled out a ring from his suit pocket.

“I wasn’t planning on doing this now, but it just happened,” He smiled endearingly into my eyes, then his eyes shifted to my stomach where our child was growing, “Jessie Marie Long, I love you more than I love your Oreo Crème Pie. I want to spend the rest of our lives getting to know you and loving you the way you should be loved. We might have our differences, like broccoli or baby names or colors to paint rooms in the house I just bought us, but I know that we will always get through our differences. I love you Jessie, will you marry me?” Finally, Michael finished and I wiped the tears from my eyes. I nodded my head and realized he had also just told me that he bought us a house.

“Yes, I will marry you Michael.” He jumped up and molded our lips together, making sure there was no room between us. When people say you see fireworks, they weren’t kidding. It felt like the fourth of July. We parted and he put his forehead against mine while carefully placing the ring on my finger.

“ ‘You should be kissed every second of every minute of every day for the rest of your life.’ ” He said this with a husky voice.

“Did you really just quote Nicholas Sparks?” I laughed when he nodded his head. At least he knew my favorite quote and movie. As if the world had decided to agree with us for a single day, we had the house alone to do the intimate things we had missed out on for so long.