Chapter 20 Expecting What?

Jessie 

            The next two weeks were spent beating myself up about Michael leaving. It didn’t help that Angela kept making pointed remarks about me making him run away. The boys seemed to understand that it was an argument and that it wasn’t just my fault. The only one who treated me differently was Will. He seemed to watch me a lot but quickly look away when I would glance over to him. He wouldn’t answer my questions or anything at all. Pete stopped by the Saturday after Michael left. He brought the boys home from football practice and ended up staying for my infamous Oreo Crème Pie that was waiting on them. He comes by every morning to take the boys to school with Josie and Jana, their step sisters.

            It was Monday morning, two weeks after Michael left, and the boys were gone to school all except Mets. He was still suspended for an extra week because he cursed out another student so I put him to work dusting the upper cabinets. I was making three hundred petit fours for Angela’s luncheon tomorrow. She decided to have a big social event for her being promoted to chairperson. I was nearly finished with the pastries when a wave of nausea overcame me. I put down the frosting pipe, turned around to get Mets’ attention, and clutched the trashcan for dear life as I relived breakfast in rewind.

“My gosh Jessie. Are you okay?” Mets clambered off of the stool and ran over to me. I continued to throw up and Mets held my hair back while rubbing my back. I shook my head no as a break came in all of the excitement.

“Did you eat something weird or something? Is there anything I can get you? Do you have the flu?” He began rapid firing questions at me. I closed my eyes and breathed in and out. No, it isn’t food poisoning, I would have other symptoms. No, I don’t have the flu. I had a shot so that I wouldn’t get it.

“Phone…keys…car…now.” I barely managed to get this out before fully standing up. If it isn’t food poisoning, and it isn’t the flu, what is it? I began to shake, scared that I could have some weird type of sickness or something. Mets ran up to my room to get my car keys and my phone. I got out to the car by myself and had Mets drive me to the emergency room.

“Hi, have you signed in yet?” As soon as Mets and I walked into the emergency room, a cheery brunette asked us this. I shook my head no and noticed that the room was empty. It must be a slow time of the morning.

“Well, there isn’t a wait right now, so come on back.” This woman was really too happy to be an ER nurse. Aren’t they supposed to be all sullen and monotone?

“Okay, what brought you in here today?” The woman asked me this and eyed Mets, probably wondering if he was old enough to be in here.

“I threw up this morning. I don’t think it is food poisoning or the flu and I’m worried.” I motioned to Mets before going on, “this is my younger brother.”

“Well, how long did this last?” She was now typing information into her little computer.

“About ten to twenty minutes.” I was feeling a little better now that I was sitting down in the patient chair.

“How about we go get you a room? We can run a few tests and see how everything is in there.” The woman smiled broadly and patted my shoulder. She showed me to a room and handed me a robe to put on in place of my clothes.

“Mets, call Angela and tell her what happened. Then call Pete and make sure he is going to pick up Ross and Will from school. Last, call my mom and tell her where I am and what happened. Tell her that she doesn’t need to come down here, even though she will.” I made sure to remind him of everything, and then let him leave so he could do as I asked. Angela would be lived that I didn’t finish the food for her luncheon. A woman came in the room shortly after Mets left to take a blood sample and a few other tests. She talked to me easily about different things it could be, but didn’t hesitate to mention that it could have just been acid reflux. I quickly assured her that I had a prescription for acid reflux that got rid of that possibility.