Chapter Ten: Clueless

Start from the beginning

"I don't see dating as transactional. You know, like, I planned two dates now you have to plan the next two to catch up. We do what we can. And besides, I'm still making up for being an ass."

"Consider it made up," I say, placing the last strawberry to his lips as a peace offering. He takes it, parting his lips and biting the fruit in half. He goes for the other half but I take it instead, plucking the last bit off it's stem while holding his stunned stare.

"What?" I ask, fidgeting as his eyes stay glued to my lips. 

He puts a hand under my chin and uses his thumb to wipe at some chocolate left on the corner of my mouth. His hand stays there, however, and we engage in the most intense staring contest I've ever experienced in my life. 

He sighs. "Just wishing I picked a more private date spot." He winks, turning back to the movie like he didn't just drop such a smooth line. But he's aware. Logan smirks at the screen, leaving me to regain the breath he just stole from me.

We actually do begin to pay attention to the movie about half way in, but I begin to fidget on the blanket. I've been using my arms as a cushion for my head, but they've fallen asleep now and I'm at a loss for how to position myself in the most comfortable way possible. 

"I forgot pillows. That's on me." Logan sticks his arm out on the blanket. "Use my body as a substitute. Take it as an 'I'm sorry.'"

I happily take him up on the offer. I cuddle close to his body, him now lying on his back. Clueless becomes background noise as we stare up at the stars. I noticed many other couples doing the same; stuck in a bubble of their own and ignoring the movie altogether.

I don't know how much time passes. It could be ten seconds, or ten hours and I wouldn't comprehend it. But I know I don't want this moment with Logan to end, so I burrow myself deeper into his side, counting every thump of his steady heartbeat and tuning into the sound of his breathing like a lullaby.

Feeling a surge of courage, I lift my head to face him. I trace my thumb on his eyebrow, making him chuckle. "What's up?" he asks. 

I know if I think too much of it I'll back out, so I don't give my brain a chance to conjure whatever worst case scenario it can think up and lean in. The target is his lips, of course, but I fumble with the speed and angles side of things. Our noses collide in a not-so romantic turn of events.

"Ow!" we say in unison. Pain blossoms on the bridge of my nose, but it can't possibly compare to what Logan feels. 

"Sorry! So sorry. This is why I don't make first moves." I scrunch my nose a few times to ease the pain; my attention on that rather than the embarrassment I should be feeling.

Logan pinches his. "Did the bleeding start again?"

"All clear," I say, spotting no red.

He wiggles his nose then stops. We stare at each other for a good five seconds before our bodies begin to shake with barely contained laughter. We are, after all, still in public. 

"Let me," he says, his voice evening out towards the end.

"Let you wha-" 

I'm stunned as Logan takes control of the situation. He flips me on my back, gently maneuvering our bodies on the red and black checkered blanket so that he's on top. I gasp, but his lips are on mine within a second, silencing any sound before it has a chance to escape.