42. A Highly Acclaimed Visitor

Start from the beginning

Sure enough, when I entered the dining room for my midday meal, I was staring at the familiar faces of Aven, Jerr, Feytan and Mallee at the front table. And they were accompanied by a young face, with golden eyes and long, light blonde hair. It was almost white, but I knew it hadn't lost its color due to age. It just had always been white.

Cailean broadened his smile as he saw me enter the room. His gaze followed me as I found my table, seated next to Lotta and her friends.

During lunch, his eyes fell on me a few times again, as did Jerr's. I didn't know if I should feel uncomfortable or not, but I didn't sense any malice in his looks. Just... Curiosity.

And I couldn't blame him. My transfer to Death Moon had been the biggest change of events of the past few Ascensions, probably. And given everything that had happened after, I'd be more surprised if he wouldn't show any interest in my story.

That theory only got confirmed, when I bumped into him in the hallway after lunch.

"Sari, what a coincidence we meet each other," he said, his voice the very sound of elegance and grace.

Him and both knew it likely was no coincidence. "Good afternoon, Alpha," I said. While Aven had given me permission to use his name, I'd be a fool not to use the formalities on other Alphas. Especially Cailean, who was older than the rest, and probably more fond of the traditional customs.

"A fine afternoon it is. Should you care to go for a walk? I've been wanting to see your Alpha's personal gardens." He almost sang the words.

"Oh, I'm not sure if I'm allowed in those," I hastily said.

"Nonsense. I was granted permission to walk there, I am simply letting a local accompany me." He offered me a genuine smile, one that could melt hearts from afar, as his golden eyes blinked and shone.

I was so inclined to accept his offer, but I couldn't let myself get hypnotized by his charms. "I'm still not sure if I'd be welcome in his gardens."

"Fear not, Sari. What's your Alpha going to do? If he punishes you, he must punish me. I insist you come walk with me."

Even though it was said in the most polite way possible, I felt his urge behind it. I didn't really have a choice. "It would be my honor to walk with you, Alpha."

"The honor is all mine," he replied, his teeth showing through another smile. He extended his arm, a signal for me to take it.

I looped my hand around his arm as he walked me to Aven's private gardens.

It was beautiful. It had roses climbing up archways, little bushes filled with flowers everywhere. Everything looked neat. Even the gate at the entrance was bewildered, but in a controlled and beautiful way.

"So, do tell me, Sari. How are you liking your stay in the beautiful city of Rahas? I must admit I was secretly hoping Aven would have kept you here."

"It's different than what I'm used to, but it's good. I'm happy." I didn't know what kind of answer he expected of me. "Were you hoping to see me, Alpha?"

"Yes, I must say that I was. It is not often that a flame changes into darkness, you see," he mused. His eyes were filled with enjoyment.

"I'm afraid I've never really been much of a flame."

Cailean turned his head, his golden stare digging through me. "You're not just a flame, you're fire itself. All the Alphas saw it at the clearing in the Middle. It is not all who would do what you did, then. You've got fire in your heart, young wolf."

My heart wrenched as he used the same nickname Aven was so fond of. Young wolf. But I wasn't sure if it was such an insult, coming from Young Moon's Alpha. "I did what I had to, to survive," I answered, trying to mind my tone. I didn't want to come off as too defensive, not when I was walking with one of the most dangerous wolves present in Rahas. And I wasn't sure yet if he liked me or not.