Reiner played with the cinnamon stick. His eyes watched the dark coffee swirl around the cup. They were silent for a few minutes while Reiner thought. Jade picked up her coffee and drank; it had grown sweeter from the cinnamon. "How much of last night was real?"

                Jade shrugged, "That depends on what you are referring to."

                "Were there men in my room last night?"

                "Not real."

                "I fought you." He glanced at the bruises on Jade's neck.  

                "Yes, that was real. I did slap you though, so it was not a one sided treatment," Jade joked softly and Reiner managed a weak smile and touched his cheek.

                "Yes, that is rather sore this morning," He looked away, a blush gently touched his cheeks. "I also remember you being naked." He swallowed visibly.

                Jade snorted and a smile spread over her features, "I was hardly naked."

                "But, you didn't have any pants on."

                "That is true," Jade conceded.

                Reiner licked his lips and ran a hand through his hair, he paused halfway through the gesture and his hand dropped into this lap. He looked at Jade again, but this time he didn't blush or turn away. His eyes narrowed slightly as he searched hers, "I remember you. You led me back to my bed, you stayed with me until I fell asleep, you...you ran your hand through my hair to calm me down."

                "Worked like a charm, you were a small helpless kitten," Jade teased but Reiner wasn't having it. His face was like stone so she cleared her throat. "Yes, that happened."

"Thank you," he said softly.

"I swore you protect you Reiner.  I understand better than most that sometimes that means you'll need protection from the shadows of your nightmares, from even yourself."

"Thank you," he said again and picked up his coffee.

They ate their breakfast in silence.

It was a boring day for Jade. Reiner spent it with the queen. They walked around the tournament together and sat and watched the games. Jade kept an eye out for Merek and Lander, but she saw no sign of them, she hoped that she would be able to get another message to them, to arrange a meeting so they could see for themselves that she was in good health and she wished to tell them everything that had happened. No one but Thatcher noticed the bruises on her neck, and even he didn't say anything. They weren't as bad as Jade thought; they would heal in a day or two easily. It felt worse than it looked.

                Charles and Reiner escorted their mother on either arm and the royal guard provided protection to them. Thatcher and Jade simple stood back and followed behind, like forgotten pets. They ate lunch at the tournament and the queen was gracious and loving. She stopped to speak with a few of her people and she didn't tolerate for people to bow to her at every moment. She enjoyed watching Reiner and Charles around her as well, it was clear they loved their mother. There was always a smile on their faces and they doted on her.

                "Is it true that Louisa has convinced father to let her shoot her bow in the tournament?" Charles asked. Jade listened to the conversation with curiosity.