Chapter Twelve

I found Gabe right outside of the restaurant, leaning against the wall. He had his earbuds in, but they didn't seem to be doing anything to relax him. He looked ready to kill. As I approached, he noticed and took out his earbuds.

His expression turned apologetic. "I'm sorry. This dinner was such a bad idea. I shouldn't have blamed you for accepting the invitation and I shouldn't have left you in there just now. He just made me- he always seems to make me..."

"It's okay," I said. "I don't think your father is a fan of either of us right now." I looked down at my wrinkled clothes. The meal was a disaster from the beginning.

Meal? What was I saying? We didn't even eat.

Gabe pushed off the wall and stepped closer to me. "It's nothing against you. He just likes to make my life miserable." He sighed. "We should probably go back in there."

I shifted uncomfortably. He still didn't know what his father had said to me or what I had said in response. "I don't think that will be necessary," I said.

Gabe furrowed his brow. "What do you mean?"

"I..." I was reluctant to tell him. What if he calls me out for overstepping? His family drama is hardly my business. I took a deep breath and summoned the courage to tell him what I had done.

"I yelled at him," I confessed.

He paused. "You what?"

I was about to defend myself, but to my surprise, Gabe didn't seem angry with me. Instead, he looked at me like I just did a backflip. He was impressed.

A smile crept across his face and he started laughing. I couldn't help but laugh too. His is contagious.

"I wish I could've seen that," he said.

I shrugged. "Get on my bad side and I'll be sure to reenact it for you."

Gabe laughed again. It felt good to laugh with him. Especially after the intense day I'd had.

**

After a brief stop at the buffet, Gabe and I laughed all the way up to the deck. As the cold wind hit my face, I felt free. Nothing could hold us back, not anymore. Screw our parents. Screw everyone! We were here and we were unstoppable. I took a deep breath, taking in the fresh air.

However, my confidence was short-lived when a horrifying realization struck me. The fresh air was salty. We were still on a boat. We were still in the middle of the ocean.

And I was still scared out of my mind.

I take it back. I am absolutely, utterly stoppable.

I shrunk back into myself so desperately that I backed up into Gabe. The moment I hit his chest his hands found my waist to steady me. His touch lit me on fire and I stifled a gasp.

"Sorry," I muttered, turning around to face him.

He let his hands drop. "We can go back inside if you want." He knew. Of course, he knew.

"No, I like being outside. I just..." I struggled to find the words. "Let's just not go close to the railing," I compromised.

His mouth curved into a small smile. "You got it."

His smile slowly dissipated as he held my gaze. Somewhere above us, the moon shone brightly in the night sky, casting its light on Gabe's face so beautifully that I wished I could take a picture of him at this moment. Of the growing concern in the scrunch of his eyebrows, or the question that seemed to be waiting on his tongue.

"Marjo," he said simply and I almost forgot to react.

"Yes?"

"Are you okay?" he asked, tone serious. "I know today was a lot for you."