9|Bulltrue!

Vern and Teddy had been walking in front of Chris, Tilly and Gordie.

"So, Gordoe." Tilly started walking backwards in front of them.

"Yeah?" Gordie chuckled at the girl.

Tilly turned back to walk beside him, "what's it feel like being the next famous writer."

Gordie shook his head, "I'm not gonna be a writer. Even if I did, there's like a 10% chance I'll be a famous one."

They all paused for minute, walking in silence.

"D'you think I'm weird?" Gordie asked.

"Definitely." Chris answered quickly, a nod of agreement coming from Tilly.

"No man, seriously. Am I weird?" He made the two stop walking.

"yeah but so what; everybody's is weird" Chris shrugged as they began walking again.

"You guys ready for school?" Chris asked, looking over at Tilly.

"Yeah." Tilly and Gordie answered in sync, unamused.

"We'll all be split up by next June." Chris looked over at Gordie.

Tilly shook her head, "woah, hang on. Rewind. What do you mean we'll be split up?"

"Yeah, why would that happen?" Gordie asked, just as confused.

"It's not gonna be like grammar-school, that's why. You'll be taking your college-courses and me, Teddy and Vern will be in the shop-courses with the rest of the retarders making ashtrays and bird houses."

"You're gonna meet a lot of new guys, smart guys." Chris finished, looking over at Tilly.

"That's bullshit, Chris." The girl kicked up a stone, shaking her head.

"Yeah, meet a lot of pussies is what you mean." Gordie rolled his eyes, Tilly nodded in agreement.

"No man. Don't say that, don't even think that." Chris looked between the two.

"Not going to meet a bunch of pussies, forget it!" Gordie starting to raise his voice.

"Well then you're an asshole!" Chris yelled.

"What's asshole about wanting to be with your friends!" Gordie argued back.

"It's asshole if your friends drag you down! You hang with us, you'll just be another wise guy with shit for brains." Chris argued back.

Tilly didn't have any plans for the future. She never really had talents like Gordie, but she always did well in school.

"He's right though Gordie, you could be a real writer someday!" Tilly looked over at the boy who shook his head.

"Fuck writing! I don't wanna be a writer! It's stupid! It's a stupid waste of time!" Gordie kicked the up the ground.

"That's your dad talking." Chris spoke up.

"Bullshit."

"Bulltrue. I know how your dad feels about you, he doesn't give a shit about you! Denny was the one who cares about you, and don't try and tell me different." Chris paused, "You're just a kid, Gordie."

"Oh gee, thanks, dad!" Gordie spoke sarcastically, watching Chris go silent.

Chris stopped walking, "I wish the hell I was your dad, you wouldn't be going around talking about taking these stupid shop-courses if I was."

"It's like god gave you something, man. All those stories that you can make up. An' he said: This is what we got you, kid. Try not to lose it, b-"

"But kids lose everything unless there's someone there to look after them." Tilly finished Chris's sentence, turning to Gordie.

"As much as I want the group to stay together, you need to put yourself first, Gordie." Tilly watched as he was gonna say something, but cut him off, "no. Listen to me."

"If I could make up these stories just like that, I would put all my power into trying to make it happen. All my power into being at least a successful writer." The girl sighed, "but I don't have this 'god given gift', so if doing everything in my power will make you get there... I'll do whatever I can. Even if it starts with telling you you're not taking shop-courses." Tilly finished giving him a serious look before turning it into a smile as she walked up to Teddy and Vern.

Chris and Gordie watched as the girl swung her arms around the two boys.

Gordie thought about what she said, he only met her this summer, but he felt like he'd known her forever.

"I don't think I've ever met anyone as supportive as Tilly." Chris sighed, "I'm glad she fits in well."

Gordie nodded, "yeah, but she's almost too good, like cool."

"What do you mean?"

"What if she finds other friends at school? I don't want to go to class with no one I know." Gordie looked over at him, saddened.

Chris thought about it. From the first day he met Tilly he thought she was too good to be with the group. And by good, not behaviour, but just overall.

"I don't know, but we're all gonna get split up anyway." Chris shrugged, finding the bright side, which wasn't bright.

Gordie shook his head, "this sucks."

Shorter chapter!