「 Chapter 13 」

Start from the beginning

Some of the older ones had already gone back to their rooms with their gifts, and they'd dimmed the overhead lights on the way out the door. The tree lights cast an ethereal glow as "Silent Night" played softly on a phonograph that had been set up in the corner.

I was still sitting on the floor next to Jungkook, who was holding a young girl who'd fallen asleep in his lap. Because of all the commotion, we hadn't really had a chance to talk, not that either of us had minded.

We were both gazing up at the lights on the tree, and I wondered what Jungkook was thinking. If truth be told, I didn't know, but he had a tender look about him. I thought--no, I knew--he was pleased with how the evening had gone, and deep down, so was I.

To this point it was the best Christmas Eve I'd ever spent.

I glanced at him. With the lights glowing on his face, he looked as pretty as anyone I'd ever seen.

"I bought you something," I finally said to him. "A gift, I mean." I spoke softly so I wouldn't wake the little girl, and I hoped it would hide the nervousness in my voice.

He turned from the tree to face me, smiling softly. "You didn't have to do that." He kept his voice low, too, and it sounded almost musical.

"I know," I said. "But I wanted to." I'd kept the gift off to one side, and I reached for it, handing the gift-wrapped package to him.

"Could you open it for me? My hands are kind of full right now." He looked down at the little girl, then back to me.

"You don't have to open it now, if you'd rather not," I said, shrugging, "it's really not that big of a deal."

"Don't be silly," he said. "I would only open it in front of you."

To clear my mind, I looked at the gift and started opening it, picking at the tape so that it wouldn't make much noise, then unwrapping the paper until I reached the box. After setting the paper off to the side, I lifted the cover and pulled out the sweater, holding it up to show him. It was brown, like the ones he usually wore. But I figured he could use a new one.

Compared with the joy I'd seen earlier, I didn't expect much of a reaction.

"See, that's all. I told you it wasn't much," I said. I hoped he wasn't disappointed in it.

"It's beautiful, Taehyung," he said earnestly. "I'll wear it the next time I see you. Thank you."

We sat quietly for a moment, and once again I began to look at the lights.

"I brought you something, too," Jungkook finally whispered. He looked toward the tree, and my eyes followed his gaze. His gift was still beneath the tree, partially hidden by the stand, and I reached for it.

It was rectangular, flexible, and a little heavy. I brought it to my lap and held it there without even trying to open it.

"Open it," he said, looking right at me.

"You can't give this to me," I said breathlessly. I already knew what was inside, and I couldn't believe what he had done. My hands began to tremble.

"Please," he said to me with the kindest voice I'd ever heard, "open it. I want you to have it."

Reluctantly I slowly unwrapped the package. When it was finally free of the paper, I held it gently, afraid to damage it. I stared at it, mesmerized, and slowly ran my hand over the top, brushing my fingers over the well-worn leather as tears filled my eyes.

Jungkook reached out and rested his hand on mine. It was warm and soft.

I glanced at him, not knowing what to say.