Chapter 17: The Truth

It all started ten years ago. A man who had been in the backrooms for half a year felt that there needed to be changes. One day, in Level 1, he tells his friend, "Hey, don't you feel that the Backrooms are too boring sometimes?" "What?" His friend responded and shook his head. "You're crazy. This is as dangerous as it gets." He leaves his friend and searches for a quiet place to be alone.

He walks and walks, until he reaches an unfamiliar place. It is a small island, and voices surround him, saying, "You'll never be good enough." "You could have saved her." "You are worthless." The voices keep provoking him, until he is a sobbing mess. Suddenly, they stop. Then, he has visions about what his life could have been if he had not got stuck in this hellhole. Visions of him with his parents, laughing and smiling. Getting married to his lover, and spending his final days with her, his children and grandchildren.

The visions continue. He stands up and yells at them to stop, and they do. A heavenly figure, surrounded by light, descends from above. A man in his prime, wearing pure white robes with angel wings. "My child," he says. "You have been tested for long enough. I have never met anyone who could withstand that amount of torture without ending their lives. For this, I grant you the powers of a god. I shall give you mine, as my time has come." The god smiles sadly and fades into ashes. The man feels newfound power coursing through his veins, and tests his powers.

He creates creatures and new, hazardous levels. Still, this is not enough for him. After ten years of creating in solitude, he decides that the Backrooms needed a cleanse, and that he was the only one powerful enough to do it. He builds up armies of creatures to end all life in the Backrooms, and releases them onto levels. He resides in the current Level 999. His name was Elijah Lewis, and is currently known as the World-Ender.