-----------------------------------------------

"Little sis! It's been a while!" exclaimed my brother as he pulled me into a hug that could rival suffocation.

"Just because you're taller doesn't mean you're older," I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Of course it does," he said indignantly as he kicked off his scuffed-up sneakers onto my spotless floor.

"How many times are we gonna have this conversation?"

"Another two hundred times or so little sis," he teased.

I sighed in defeat.

"You're staying in Mel's room by the way."

"Thank God. I couldn't take not even one night on that thing in your living room you call a couch," he mumbled just loud enough for me to hear.

"Shut up, it was the cheapest one they had," I muttered.

"Believe me, I can tell," he shot back with a laugh.

"Ugh, why did I agree to let you stay here."

"Because you love me, little sis. Where is Mel anyway?" He asked, the nosy side of him making an appearance.

"She's been spending a lot of time at her boyfriend's place ever since they got engaged and she realized he didn't really have ED," I told him.

"ED?"

"Just forget that last part, it's an inside joke."

"I see, so when is Mel moving out?"

Huh?

"What do you mean?" I asked incredulously.

"She's obviously not going to live here anymore, she's engaged!"

Suddenly it all hit me like a pile of bricks.

My best friend was moving out soon!

Marcus was right.

She couldn't live here anymore now that she was going to build a life with her soon-to-be husband.

How could I be so blind to all of this?

I helped plan the proposal for God's sake!

My mind must have selectively blocked out the obvious, Mel would have to move out and I would have to find a new roommate.

I was too exhausted to deal with this right now.

"Mia, come back to earth."

"Sorry, I spaced out," I muttered after Marcus brought my attention back to him.

I'd been spacing out a lot lately.

"You're probably tired. Go get some rest, I'll be fine on my own," my brother said, ruffling my hair, undoubtedly making me look homeless in the process.

I was too tired to even protest.

"Okay, good night Marcus," I yawned and went to my room so I could crawl into bed.

I fell asleep as soon as my head touched the pillow.

------------------------------------------

I woke up to the jarring sound of a fire alarm going off and the smell of badly burnt toast.

I moaned as the sheets drawn over my head did absolutely nothing to dim the very annoying beeping noise.

Marcus was going to be the death of me.

After getting out of bed at a time way too early for a Saturday, I made my way to the kitchen to destroy that godforsaken thing before I went bat-shit crazy.