Petal fall

A/N: And so here we are. I know a LOT of you were extremely relieved by last chapter, which is very sweet to me. I ALSO KNOW SOME OF YOU WERE REALLY ROOTING FOR NIGHTMARE'S DEMISE THOUGH. YALL REALLY WANT HIM DEAD. /lh

This has been one hell of a rollercoaster and I just got done with an interview at a psych hospital and got a job offer. You all have seen me go from HESI, to finals, to NCLEX, to being a nurse. That's kind of crazy to me.

So, without any further stalling,

Enjoy(!)

Cross was tending to Dream on the sofa, fretting over the positive spirit as he faded in and out of awareness. The other three members of his group were anxiously pacing around or mumbling to themselves, each knowing they hadn't quite gotten through to Nightmare despite their best attempts.

"Cross... 'm fine. Just... a lot of negativity." Dream mumbled as Cross rested the back of his hand on his forehead. "It's probably good... I need it to weaken me. I've got too much positivity to remain stable." He insisted, attempting to relieve the obvious worry on the guard's face.

"You're our only line to know how Nightmare's doin', Sunshine," Killer spoke up as he looked back at them. "If you're getting worse, that means he's getting worse." He growled, hiding his concern behind hostility. They were tense and on edge, waiting to hear from Error about Nightmare's condition. It had been well past the allotted hour Dream had predicted and still, they were left waiting for Error to return.

The world seemed to hold its breath as a glitching portal sparked to life in the middle of the room. Each of them perked up immediately, souls thrumming together as one as they waited. Finally, Error stepped out of the portal and into the lounge area.

Nightmare was being supported heavily by the glitch, but he was managing to walk on his own.

Dream attempted to sit up but Cross was quick to hold him by the shoulders to keep him down. "Nighty... you're okay..." Dream wept as he saw the negativity had significantly covered the side of his face once more. Cross gave his own relieved sigh, hands trembling a bit where they held onto Dream. Error carefully let go of Nightmare, slowly backing off to ensure he wouldn't simply collapse trying to hold himself up.

Nightmare remained standing, however; though not as tall with his hunch posture, he stood just as firm.

He gave a surprised sound as he felt an impact against his front, blinking in surprise as Horror squeezed him in a tight embrace. He managed to awkwardly pat his back, unsure what else to do with his hands.

"Move it over, big guy!" Killer nagged as he squeezed himself under one of Horror's arms. Dust inched closer as well, obviously wanting to be supportive but unsure how to approach the situation. In the end, Horror simply swept them in with either arm and squeezed all three of them together. "Or, that works too." Killer huffed in amusement as they were all squished together. Horror gave a soft rumbling sound, seeming to agree.

Nightmare felt a mixture of their positivity and negativity assaulting his senses. Their relief and joy to see him alive, and the bitter agony of nearly losing him. He was still slightly reeling at the idea they cared so much for a hot mess like himself. He couldn't help it. He had to know.